Thick and chewy Sugar Cookie Bars topped with cream cheese frosting have the same great taste you love from a classic sugar cookie, without having to chill, roll or cut the dough!
Why I love this recipe:
- Time-Saver: No chilling or cutting out dough! Frost them all at once and slice into bars.
- Texture: These bars don’t sacrifice a thing when it comes to texture. They are still soft, thick, and chewy.
- Perfect for parties and potlucks: They are easy to transport, and you can make them and serve them in the same pan. You can also make them ahead and freeze them. Don’t expect to have leftovers–they are a crowd favorite!
How to make Sugar Cookie Bars:
Cream butter and sugar: Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix well until light and creamy. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
Add dry ingredients: In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the batter and mix until combined.
Bake: Lightly spray a 13×18 half sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread and press the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12-16 minutes or until set, and the edges are just starting to be golden. They will set up more as they cool.
Make Frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and mix. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time just until it’s a good frosting consistency, mixing well until smooth.
Frost and Serve: Spread frosting on top of the cookie bars and cut into squares. Enjoy!
Storage and Freezing Instructions:
To Store: Cover well and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To Freeze: For best results, let them cool completely but do not cut into bars. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and tinfoil. Freeze for up to one month. Thaw completely in the fridge before cutting into bars.
- 9×13 Pan: If you want to make a smaller batch, these can be made in a 9×13” pan. Cut this recipe in half, and bake them for around the same amount of time, until the center is set.
- Cookies: If you aren’t looking for bars, check out my perfect Sugar Cookies.
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars: Instead of adding the almond extract, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice, and a couple teaspoons of lemon zest.
- Christmas Sugar Cookie Bars: top frosting with Christmas sprinkles or crushed candy canes.
More “Bar” Recipes:
- World’s Best Peanut Butter Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Banana Bread Brownies
- M&M Cookie Bars
- Magic Bars (7 Layer Bars)
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Snickerdoodle Bars
Follow me for more great recipes
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter *room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese , room temperatire
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar (more or less depending on how thick you want your frosting)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13×18'' half sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. (Or, cut the recipe in half if using a 9×13'' pan).
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix well until light and creamy. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the batter and mix until combined. Spread and press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12-16 minutes or until the center is set, and the edges are just starting to be golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cooled completely, frost and cut into squares.
Cream cheese frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and mix. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time until, mixing well until smooth. You may not need all of the powdered sugar–just add enough to make a good frosting consistency, and taste it to see if you want to add more.
- Store bars covered well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe in April 2015. Updated March 2018 and May 2022.