It’s not a football party at our house without a big platter of 7-layer bean dip! Everyone loves this easy Mexican dip that has layers of flavored refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, olives and green onion.
There are just two things in the kitchen that my husband takes full ownership of.
- Scrambled eggs.
- 7-layer bean dip.
It’s hilarious how he is more than happy for me to rule the kitchen arena at all times, except for when it comes to these two things. But, I’m always happy to turn over these jobs to him. He makes the most amazing, cheesy, soft scrambled eggs. I crave them. I request them often for dinner, too. 🙂
And, he makes a mean Mexican bean dip. It’s just not football season around our house without a platter of 7-layer bean dip to enjoy while we watch. It’s just about the most simple dip to make, and my whole family loves it. My kids even like to eat it without the chips. I just put a spoonful in a bowl and they eat it with a spoon.
The only real trick to this bean dip is flavoring the refried beans. Canned refried beans are bland and boring, so be sure to season them with cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. My mom always used to squirt a little of this green sauce in there too. There are no real rules here — just make ’em taste good! It will make all the difference in the end result.
Then, layer the beans with mashed avocado (guacamole), sour cream, salsa, cheese, olives and green onion. Mmm, mmm GOOD!
Consider trying these popular appetizers:
Everyone loves this easy 7-layer bean dip that has layers of flavored refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, olives and green onion.
- 2 cans refried beans (black or pinto0
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 avocados , peeled and seeded
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheeses (cheddar and Monterey jack)
- 6 ounces black olives , sliced
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1 roma tomato diced, for garnish (optional)
- tortilla chips , for serving
Add the refried beans to a mixing bowl. Season with chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
Spread beans into a single layer on a large serving plate or in a 9x13'' pan.
- Add avocado and lemon/lime juice to a bowl and mash well with a fork. Spread into an even layer, over the beans.
- Spread sour cream into an even layer, over the mashed avocado layer.
- Dollop small spoonfuls of salsa all over the top of the sour cream layer.
Sprinkle with cheese, followed by olives, and then green onion. You could also add a diced tomato for garnish (optional).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (this can be made a day in advance). Serve with tortilla chips.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!