What are scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos are peanut butter Rice Krispie bars topped with melted butterscotch and semi-sweet chocolate chips. The name scotcheroos refers to the delicious butterscotch flavor that is packed into the chocolate topping.
If you have a gluten intolerance, please note that these are made with Rice Krispie cereal, which is made with malt flavoring. Malt flavoring stems from barley and barley contains gluten! So, unfortunately, these Rice Krispy scotcheroos are are not a gluten free snack.
A few tips for this recipe:
Freezing and making ahead of time:
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Apple Crisp
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 12 ounce bags butterscotch chips
- 12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 9x13' inch baking pan.
- Place cereal in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from heat immediately and stir in peanut butter until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the rice cereal and stir until evenly coated. Press mixture into a 9x13'' pan.
- Place the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chips are melted and smooth.
- Spread topping over the bars. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared these in June 2013, I’ve updated the photos and recipe.