What are Scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos are no-bake cereal bars similar to rice krispies treats, but flavored with peanut butter and topped with melted butterscotch and semi-sweet chocolate chips. The name “scotcheroos” refers to the butterscotch flavor that is melted into the chocolate topping.
If you have a gluten intolerance, please note that these are made with Rice Krispies cereal, which is made with malt flavoring. Malt flavoring stems from barley and barley contains gluten! So, unfortunately scotcheroos are not gluten free.
How to make Scotcheroos:
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: I think these are best served the day they are made, but you can prepare them in the morning or the day before and store them in an air-tight container before serving.
To freeze: Prepare the scotcharoos in a freezer safe pan, cover well and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature for 2 hours before cutting and serving.
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Apple Crisp
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup*
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips , use a good quality brand or they wont melt well, or user Baker's chocolate
- 12 ounce bags butterscotch chips
- Grease a 9x13' inch baking pan. Place cereal in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, and once boiling immediately remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the rice cereal and stir until evenly coated. Press firmly into prepared pan.
- Add the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on low power for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, just until the chips are melted and smooth.
- Spread topping over the bars. Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Store scotcheroos in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy within 1-2 days, for best taste and texture.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe June 2013. Updated with process photos and more detailed instructions and tips.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you.