Perfectly thick, soft and chewy peanut butter bars with a peanut butter and chocolate glaze.
You wont see me use the words “BEST” in too many recipes, because a lot of people have great variations of a lot of dishes. However, without hesitation I can say these are THE BEST peanut butter bars in existence!
This peanut butter bars recipe has been a huge family favorite for many years. Simply put, they are completely addicting and you will want to eat the entire pan by yourself. Consider that my warning 🙂
If I’m ever making these for a party I always have to make an extra pan for my family or else I’m in trouble! I’ve tried quite a few peanut butter bars in my day, and none compare to these.
First of all, they are thick, chewy, and soft. They’re in the same family as my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, but with a peanut butter twist. I love the taste and texture that the oats add.
They have the perfect ratio of chocolate and peanut butter, without being overwhelmingly sweet.
The dough for the bars has 1/2 cup of peanut butter in it. Once they’re baked and cooled, you spread a very thin layer of creamy peanut butter over them.
Then, you make a warm chocolate frosting and pour it over the top. YUM!
These really are the World’s Best Peanut Butter Bars!
Consider trying these popular “bar” recipes:
- Snickerdoodle Bars
- Butterfinger Cookie Bars
- Caramel Crunch Bars
- Perfect Lemon Bars
- Oreo Cookie Bars
- Butterscotch Blondies
World's Best Peanut Butter Bars
For the bars:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (plus more for spreading over baked bars)
- 3/4 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
For the chocolate frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to creamy mixture.
- Press firmly into a greased 9x13'' pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 17-21 minutes. Do not over-bake! They will look just barely set in the center, and they will harden as they cool. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread a thin layer of peanut butter over the bars.
To make the chocolate frosting:
- Add butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Once melted, stir in cocoa.
- Remove from heat and add milk, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whisk until smooth, using electric beaters to get out any lumps, if needed. .
- Spread chocolate frosting over the top of the bars.
I originally shared this recipe in April 2013. Updated February 2018.