Magic Bars (also called 7 layer bars) are simple cookie bars made from a graham cracker crust, three different types of chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. This is the EASIEST dessert, and always a party favorite.
This magic bars recipe goes by many names depending on your location. You may hear them called, hello dolly bars, magic cookie bars, coconut dream bars, or 7 layer bars. Each name means basically the same thing; a delicious cookie bar made without eggs or flour, and with layers of chocolate, butterscotch and coconut bliss.
- Graham crackers: honey or chocolate flavored, crushed using a food processor or rolling pin.
- Butter: melted, for the crust.
- Chocolate chips and butterscotch chips: or use whichever chips are your favorite, including white chocolate.
- Heath bars: crushed up.
- Shredded coconut: shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut if preferred. Avoid large shreds of coconut.
- Chopped nuts: walnuts or pecans are preferred.
- Sweetened condensed milk: this is the true “magic” of the bars and it helps bind all the ingredients together and has a caramel-like flavor when cooked.
How to Make Magic Bars (7 Layer Bars):
Make Crust: Crush graham crackers in the sleeve, or using a food processor or rolling pin. Mix with melted butter then pour mixture into a greased 8’’ square baking dish. Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Top with Layers: Sprinkle chopped heath bars, nuts and coconut then pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. (I like to refrigerate mine for a few hours before serving these 7 layer bars recipe so they are easier to get out of the pan, to cut and hold the “layers” better.)
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: You can make magic cookie bars 1-2 days ahead of time. Store them covered, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To Freeze: Freeze magic bars for up to 3 months, in a freezer-safe container.
- Chocolate Crust: Use chocolate graham crackers instead of honey graham crackers.
- Oreo Crust: Crush 24 Oreos and mix with 5 tablespoons melted butter.
- Different Flavored Chips: Try white chocolate, mint, or any variety of chocolate chips.
- Vegan Magic Bars: Substitute vegan butter and, in place of sweetened condensed milk, dissolve ⅓ cup sugar in 1 cup of full fat coconut milk.
Follow me for more great recipes
- 1 sleeve honey graham crackers*
- 6 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 heath bars , chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Crush graham crackers in the sleeve, using a food processor, or rolling pin. Mix with melted butter and pour mixture into a greased 8’’ square baking dish.
- Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips, then butterscotch chips, chopped heath bars, nuts and coconut. Pour sweetened condensed evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. (I like to refrigerate mine for a few hours before serving so they are easier to get out of the pan, to cut and hold the “layers” better.)
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe April 2016. Updated September 2020 and August 2023.