Comforting chicken noodle casserole with a simple homemade white sauce, cheese, chicken and egg noodles. My family loves this creamy, cheesy, easy recipe!
Chicken Noodle Casserole
It’s that time of year where sometimes you just need a warm, simple, comforting dish that your family will love. This chicken noodle casserole is the definition of comfort food!
How to make easy Chicken Noodle Casserole:
It starts with a homemade white sauce, using really basic ingredients you hopefully already have in your pantry: butter, flour, chicken broth, salt, pepper and dried basil. The sauce is a replacement for what most people would use cream of chicken soup for. It’s similar to my recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup, but this time it’s thickened with flour.
When the sauce is thickened, you add it to a large mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients, chicken, noodles and cheese. The mixture is saucy, cheesy and delicious!
Pour everything into a large casserole dish, at least 9×13”. Add a sprinkle of additional cheese on top and bake it until the cheese is golden and the mixture is bubbling at the edges.
Allow it to cool for at 10-15 minutes before serving, to allow it some time to set.
The Best Comfort Food Recipes:
Sometimes food is the best way to comfort the soul. Here is a list of some of my favorite comfort food recipes:
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Gourmet Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Three Cheese Ziti
Consider serving this chicken casserole with:
Comforting chicken noodle casserole with a simple homemade white sauce, cheese, chicken and egg noodles.
- 12 ounces egg noodles , cooked al dente
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 ounces cottage cheese , small curd
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese , divided
- 4 cups cooked chicken , chopped
- fresh parsley leaves for garnish, optional
Cook egg noodles in a large pot of boiling water, just until al dente, or even 1-2 minutes less. (The noodles will continue to cook when they are baked.)
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium to medium high heat. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, about a cup at a time, until mixture is thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl stir together cottage cheese, egg, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Add mixture from the stovetop.
- Fold in cooked chicken and noodles. Taste and add additional salt, pepper or dried basil, if needed.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13’’ baking dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and bubbly.
Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
To make ahead:
You can make this recipe up to 24 hours ahead of time. Assemble, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate. Bake as directed, but you may need to add 10-15 minutes to the baking time.
Only boil noodles for 5 minutes. Assemble and bake according to directions, and allow to cool.
Cover really well with a double layer of aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, bake from frozen for 1 1/2 hours (still covered with foil.) Then uncover and bake for another 20-40 minutes or so, or until it's hot and bubbly.
Recipe inspired from here.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.