Comforting Chicken Noodle Casserole with a simple homemade white sauce, cheese, chicken and egg noodles. My family loves this creamy, cheesy, easy recipe!
This kid-friendly dinner is a win for the whole family! Some of my other favorite comfort foods include Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells, Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Pork Chops, and Chicken pot pie
I love so many things about this recipe, but particularly that it’s a dinner my entire family loves, it makes a ton, so I like to meal prep lunch the next day with roasted veggies on the side, and it’s freezer friendly!
How to make easy Chicken Noodle Casserole:
1. Cook egg noodles.
2. Make white sauce. Melt butter in an extra large saucepan. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried basil. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in chicken broth, stirring until mixture thickens.
3. Mix everything together. Add remaining ingredients; chicken, noodles and cheese mixture and stir to combine. Bake in the pot, if desired, or pour into a large casserole dish. Add a sprinkle of additional cheese on top.
5. Bake it until the cheese is golden and the mixture is bubbling at the edges. Allow it to cool for at 10-15 minutes before serving, to allow it some time to set.
Ideas to serve chicken casserole with:
Make ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: You can make this recipe up to 24 hours ahead of time. Slightly undercook the egg noodles. Assemble, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate. Bake as directed (you may need to add 10-15 minutes to the baking time).
To freeze: only boil noodles for 4 minutes. Assemble and bake according to directions, and allow to cool. Cover really well with a double layer of aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, bake from frozen for 1 ½ hours (still covered with foil.) Then uncover and bake for another 20-40 minutes or so, or until it’s hot and bubbly.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces egg noodles , cooked al dente
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 ounces cottage cheese , small curd
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese , divided
- 4 cups cooked chicken , chopped
- fresh parsley leaves for garnish, optional
- Cook egg noodles in a large pot of boiling water, just until al dente, or even 1-2 minutes less. (The noodles will continue to cook later, when baked). Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in an extra large saucepan over medium to medium high heat. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, about a cup at a time, until mixture is thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together cottage cheese, egg, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and ½ cup parmesan cheese.
- Add chicken, noodles and cheese mixture to the saucepan and stir to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper or dried basil, if needed.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13’’ baking dish (or you can bake it right in an oven-safe saucepan it is in). Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and bubbly. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe December 2017. Updated March 2020 with process photos, make ahead and freezing instructions.
Recipe inspired from here.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.