Take the time to make Chicken Noodle Soup from scratch and you’ll never be able to make it another way again! My mom’s version is a step above the rest, made with homemade stock and egg noodles that take just minutes to make. The end result is the BEST Chicken Noodle Soup you’ll ever have!
My kids literally jump up and down with excitement whenever homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is on the menu, and rightfully so, because it is AMAZING! This is one of my go-to recipes to bring to friends or neighbors (along with a loaf of Artisan Bread) during the cooler seasons and it’s always a hit.
What Type of Noodles?
My mom always made chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles, but the great thing about this soup is that any kind of noodles will work!
- Homemade Egg noodles : all you need is flour, salt, milk and eggs and they’re ready in 5 minutes!
- Farfalle pasta
- Elbow macaroni
About the Chicken Stock:
If your questioning whether you should use homemade chicken stock, or store-bought for this recipe, homemade is definitely the way to go! The secret is to use a rotisserie chicken so that you can use the meat in the soup and make chicken broth with the leftover carcass and bones. You wont believe how easy it is and it really takes the soup over top in terms of depth of flavor.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
Make Homemade Chicken Stock ahead of time using a rotisserie chicken, or choose a good brand of store-bought chicken stock.
Sauté veggies. Add butter, diced celery and carrots to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add chicken stock or broth. Season the broth with salt (definitely TASTE the broth before adding more salt), pepper, and a tiny pinch of rosemary, sage and crushed red pepper. I may add another small spoonful of “better than bullion” chicken or chicken bouillon powder as well, if needed, to taste.
Add noodles and boil. Once boiling, add noodles (either the uncooked homemade egg noodles, or dry store-bought pasta) and cook just until noodles are al dente. If using store-bought noodles, be cautious not to overcook them! Remove the soup pot from heat as soon as the noodles are just barely tender, as they will continue to cook off of the heat.
Add chicken. Add chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken. Taste the broth again and add more seasonings, if needed.
Serve. I love to serve this healthy soup with this easy No Knead Bread or homemade rolls! If you love this recipe, try my new Chicken and Dumpling Soup!
Is chicken noodle soup healthy?
Yes, homemade chicken noodle soup is healthy, and much healthier than store-bought soups which are usually loaded with sodium and other artificial flavors and preservatives. Chicken broth or stock (especially when homemade) are loaded with vitamins and minerals, and soothing for the body. Even if you use store bought chicken broth and noodles, it’s still healthier in every way!
Make ahead and freezing instructions:
To make ahead: This soup is best made ahead of time when you are using homemade egg noodles, since they don’t get soggy and overcooked like regular store bought noodles. If you wanted to use regular noodles, I recommend making the broth (steps 1-2) first, and then boiling it with the noodles, and adding the chicken, the day of serving.
To store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, depending on the freshness of the chicken used.
To freeze: Allow the soup to cool completely and store it in a freezer safe container for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or over medium heat on the stove. If using store bought noodles I would suggest undercooking the noodles before freezing the soup, to avoid them getting soggy upon reheating.
Follow me for more great recipes
Chicken Noodle Soup
For the Soup:
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 3-4 large carrots diced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 10 cups chicken stock or broth*
- 1 teaspoon salt , to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary ,or more, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 batch homemade egg noodles* , or 5 cups dry egg noodles, farfalle or other bite-size pasta
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken*
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon chicken base (or more, as needed) , or chicken bouillon granules
- Add butter, diced celery and carrots to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock and season the broth with rosemary, sage, crushed red pepper, and salt (definitely TASTE the broth before adding more salt), and pepper. Taste and add a spoonful of “better than bullion” chicken or chicken bouillon cubes or granules as needed.
- Bring broth to a boil. Add noodles (either uncooked homemade egg noodles, or dry store-bought pasta) and cook just until noodles are al dente.
- If using store-bought noodles, be cautious not to overcook them! Remove pot from heat as soon as they are just barely tender. The noodles will continue to cook once you remove the pot from the heat, and you don’t want them mushy.
- Add chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken. Taste the broth again and add more seasonings, if needed.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, depending on the freshness of the chicken you used.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe October 2017. Updated September 2021.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you.
This came out fantastic. My first time making my own noodles… never realized how easy they are to make, and so much better than store bought. Thanks, this recipe will be my go-to!
Made this melt in your mouth, delicious soup yesterday for my ill dad. We all LOVED it! This is the best chicken noodle soup ever!
I sauteed the veggies in butter and 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Also, added three chopped onions.
We served the soup with sliced green onions and crusty warm French bread. Oh YUM!
Love the food
I like the spices and veggies, but 5 cups dry noodles is way too much for this amount of soup
I made this for dinner tonight & it is delicious. Just a few minor tweaks; I added onion & sautéed with the other veggies, used thyme & parsley since I was out of both of the other herbs & Tyson frozen fajita chicken strips. I’m so glad I was out of store bought egg noodles & opted to make them homemade. (There’s a link provided in the recipe card.) I’ve never made any kind of pasta from scratch & I’m kicking myself! So easy & so good!!! I will never buy egg noodles again. Next time I make this I’ll roast a chicken & make my own stock. Thank you so much for all the great recipes Lauren!!
Pre saute the veggy’s and herbs in butter, really made all the difference in the world!!
It added that taste I was looking for in chicken noodle soup! Thank you!
Deliciousness! Added about a half a cup of onion and sautéed Veggies in garlic herb butter.
See More Comments