Chicken Gyros include delicious marinated chicken, grilled and layered on a pita with yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber. This fresh and healthy meal idea is one of our family favorites!
You know how some parents complain that their kids will only eat certain items, or maybe their repertoire of “favorite” foods, consists of just a few things? Well, I have the opposite problem. My kids are so used to eating “new” and different foods all of the time that they don’t like to eat the same thing two days in a row (unless it’s cottage cheese. My two year-old could live off of cottage cheese 😉 ).
If we have pasta for dinner one night, they wont have anything to do with pasta the next day. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Boring. They’re rather have a grilled ham and cheese with honey mustard sauce! haha. I guess it’s not a bad problem to have, but they are pretty hilarious.
Life is just too short to eat boring food–am I right? And I guess my kids have learned that early!
These chicken gyros are anything but boring, and they’re the perfect meal to “mix things up” if you’re feeling in a bit of a dinner rut. Not only is the chicken marinade super easy, but it gives the chicken a delicious bold flavor.
Layer it with a tasty greek yogurt sauce (I don’t call it “tzatziki” sauce because I didn’t add cucumber to it), and toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber, all served inside a a yummy pita. These Chicken Gyros were a favorite with everyone in my family.
If you like these, consider trying these:
- Chicken, Bacon, Avocado Wrap
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Wrap
- Honey BBQ Chicken Wrap
- Crispy Southwest Wrap
- Chicken Cashew Crunch Wrap
- Chicken Caesar Wrap
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (*see note)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or regular)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , or more, to taste
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 6 pita or flatbreads
- Iceberg lettuce , chopped
- cherry tomatoes , halved
- red onion , sliced
- cucumber , sliced
For the marinade:
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken to a large ziplock bag.
- Pour marinade over chicken and squish everything together to coat well. Marinade for 1-4 hours.
For the Greek Yogurt Sauce:
- Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce by combining all ingredients.
- Taste it and add more seasoning (lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper or cumin) to your liking. Refrigerate.
- Heat grill to medium. Remove chicken from marinade, letting any excess sauce drip off.
- Grill chicken for a few minutes on each side, flipping once, until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before chopping into bite-size pieces.
- Toast or warm your pitas/flatbread. Layer pita with chicken, lettuce, tomato, red onion, cucumber and sauce. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.