These crispy Bean and Cheese Burritos are filled with refried beans and cheese and pan fried until the tortilla is crispy. Serve with salsa and guacamole and you’ve got one of our favorite easy weeknight meals!
Looking for more quick meal ideas? Try Taco Salad, Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, or Cheese Enchiladas!
Why I love this recipe:
- FAST! I can whip these up in less than 20 minutes. Here’s a list of my other favorite meals you can make in under 30-Minutes.
- Few Ingredients: I always have these basic pantry ingredients on hand! If you want to go the extra mile use these Homemade Refried Beans!
- Picky-Eater Approved: Crispy and full of flavor, this is a meal that every member of my family is excited about. We love serving them with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
- Refried Beans
- Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin
How to make Crispy Bean and Cheese Burritos:
Season Beans: Add refried beans, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin to a mixing bowl and stir until smooth.
Spread Beans: Spoon about three tablespoons of the bean mixture onto the center of a flour tortilla and smooth into a thin layer.
Add Cheese and Roll: Sprinkle with a large pinch of shredded cheese. Roll tightly. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Fry Burritos: Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Place a few burritos, seam side down, into the pan. Turn them every 30 seconds or so as they cook until they are golden and crispy on all sides.
Serve warm with homemade Easy Homemade Salsa and guacamole, for dipping.
Air Fryer Instructions:
Preheat air fryer to 370 degrees. Spray the burritos with oil and add a few at a time to the air fryer. Cook for 6 minutes, rotate and cook for a few more minutes until crispy on all sides.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The refried bean mixture can be made beforehand and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You could also assemble and roll the burritos and store them in the fridge until dinner, when you’re ready to fry them. Leftovers also reheat wonderfully, reheated in a hot pan until the tortilla gets crispy again.
To Freeze: Make the burritos through step 3 (stop before pan frying them). Keep them wrapped in plastic in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze them in a zip lock bag. When ready to cook, let them thaw completely before pan frying.
Follow me for more great recipes
Crispy Bean and Cheese Burritos
- 16 ounce can refried beans , pinto or black
- 1 Tablespoon salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese , or cheddar cheese
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- salsa , for dipping
- Add the refried beans, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin to a mixing bowl and stir until smooth.
- Spoon about three tablespoons of the bean mixture onto the center of a flour tortilla and smooth into a thin layer.
- Sprinkle with a small handful of shredded cheese. Roll tightly. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Place a few burritos, seam side down, into the pan.
- Turn them every 30 seconds or so as they cook until they are golden and crispy on all sides.
- Serve warm, with homemade five-minute salsa and guacamole, for dipping.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe March 2018. Updated March 2023.
I made these this week in my air fryer. They were so good! Thank you.
Could these be made in an air fryer? If so, what would you recommend for time and temp?
I love your website! I love that you can look at the recipe first! The recipes are user friendly and good for many people. Thanks for making cooking pleasant and easy.
Can I put these in the air fryer?
My husband is obsessed with the convienace store torpedoes. I’m going to make it a point to make these for him as I am sure this will be much much better and better for him. Thanks for this delicious recipe! I can tell by the ingredients it’s going to be stellar.
Can these be made in an air fryer as well? If so, how long and what temperature?
Awesome recipe! I was wondering how long they last in the freezer?
About 3 months, for best results!
Could you bake these in the oven instead of stovetop? I love your recipes, thanks so much!
Sure! Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray the tops of the tortillas with cooking spray , or brush them lightly with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the shells are crispy.
Could you use taco seasoning instead of the individual spices?
Sure, but you wont need the whole packet.
See More Comments