This easy Banana Bundt Cake recipe is so moist and delicious, topped with smooth cream cheese frosting. I can’t think of a sweeter way to use overripe bananas.
Want more homemade cake recipes? Try my Chocolate Mousse Cake, Blueberry Coffee Cake, or Berry Cake!
Why I love this cake:
- Easy – It uses basic ingredients I always have on hand and is really quick to make.
- Texture – The texture is similar to banana bread, but it is slightly softer and more cake-like. It is also sweeter than banana bread.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – This addition of my homemade cream cheese frosting just makes this cake perfect! I serve this for special brunches, bridal and baby showers, or dessert.
How to make Banana Bundt Cake:
Grease Bundt Pan: See my tips, above.
Make the Batter: Combine dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar then add the eggs and vanilla.
Add Bananas: Mix in mashed bananas and buttermilk. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring gently, just until fully incorporated.
Bake: Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Then gently run a thin butter knife around the top edges of the bundt pan and invert cake onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Frost: Once cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting. I use the large round top of a pastry bag to pie the frosting on in lines, but you can frost it with the back of the spoon, all over the top of the cake, if you’d like.
How to Grease a Bundt Pan:
The best method for greasing a bundt cake is with shortening and flour. Spread a very thin, even layer of shortening all over the inside of the bundt pan. (I use a ziplock sandwich bag, stick my hand inside of it, then take a scoop of shortening and use my hand to smooth the shortening all over every bump and crevice in the pan. This way I can make sure the entire pan is covered evenly, in a thin layer, and my hand stays clean.)
Next add a pinch of flour and dust it over the pan. Hold the pan over the sink and tap it hard, in a circular motion, all around the edges so that the flour lightly covers the pan. Now you’re ready to add the cake batter, and rest assured the cake will come out of the pan without sticking!
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Store leftover cake covered well at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To Freeze: Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. If the cake is frosted, flash freeze it for 30 minutes to help set the frosting, then cover well and freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Healthier: Double my recipe for Skinny Banana Bread and pour it into a greased bundt pan. Bake as instructed.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bundt Cake: Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips before pouring in bundt pan.
- Banana Blueberry Bundt Cake: Roll 1 cup of blueberries in flour then fold into the batter before pouring in the bundt pan.
- Banana Nut Bundt Cake: Fold in 2/3 cup of chopped nuts into the batter, then pour into bundt pan. You can also sprinkle some chopped nuts on top after you frost it!
More Bundt Cakes:
- Nothing Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Apple Bundt Cake
- Homemade Rum Cake
- Poppyseed Cake
- Chocolate Macaroon Cake
Follow me for more great recipes
Banana Bundt Cake
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 bananas , mashed
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well or butter and flour your bundt pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the buttermilk and mashed bananas. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring gently, just until fully incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before inverting it out of the pan. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add powdered sugar and beat for several minutes, until smooth and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar, if needed.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Recipe adapted from Hungry Hungry Highness.
I originally shared this recipe April 2019. Updated May 2021.
This cake is delicious! I used three bananas in the cake and added some vanilla to the cream cheese icing.
I made this recipe but I added a 1/2 cup chocolate chip to it so good and moist
Just stumbled across this recipe and it turned out great. I usually make banana bread, but wanted to try something different.
See More Comments