This easy Banana Cake is so delicious, soft and moist and topped with smooth Cream Cheese Frosting. I can’t think of a sweeter way to use overripe bananas!
If you love banana baked goods as much as I do, you will fall in love with this simple Banana Cake! It has a similar texture to banana bread, but is slightly softer and more cake-like, and is sweeter than banana bread, mostly due to the addition of cream cheese frosting. We still enjoy it any time of day, and I especially love to serve it at brunches or bridal and baby showers.
How to Grease a Bundt Pan:
I’ve tried many methods to prevent a bundt cake from sticking to the pan and the method that works for me EVERY time, is greasing the pan appropriately with shortening and flour.
Start by spreading a very thin, even layer of shortening all over the pan. I use a ziplock sandwich bag, stick my hand inside of it, then take a scoop of shortening and use my hand to smooth the shortening all over every bump and crevice in the pan. This way I can make sure the entire pan is covered evenly, in a thin layer, and my hands stay clean.
Next add a pinch of flour and dust it over the pan. Hold the pan over the sink and tap it hard, in a circular motion, all around the edges so that the flour lightly covers the pan. Now you’re ready to add the cake batter, and rest assured the cake will come out of the pan without sticking!
How to make Banana Cake:
- Grease Bundt Pan: See my tips, above.
- Make the batter: Combine dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar then add the eggs and vanilla.
- Add Bananas: Mix in mashed bananas and buttermilk. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring gently, just until fully incorporated.
- Bake: Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Then gently run a thin butter knife around the top edges of the bundt pan and invert cake onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost: Once cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting. I use the large round top of a pastry bag to pie the frosting on in lines, but you can frost it with the back of the spoon, all over the top of the cake, if you’d like.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Store leftover cake covered well at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freeze by wrapping in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. If the cake is frosted, flash freeze it for 30 minutes to help set the frosting, then cover well. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature before serving, if desired.
More Popular Banana Recipes:
For the cake:
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well or Butter and flour your bundt pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the buttermilk and mashed bananas. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring gently, just until fully incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes before inverting it out of the pan. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
For the cream cheese frosting:
- Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add powdered sugar and milk and beat for several minutes, until smooth and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar, if needed.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Recipe adapted from Hungry Hungry Highness.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe April 2019. Updated May 2021.