Nothing Bundt Cake
Have you ever heard of or tried Nothing Bundt Cakes cake before? They have several bakeries across the nation and they are basically just delicious bundt cakes that are frosted similar to this. A few years ago my Aunt introduced me to a “copycat” recipe of the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake that she originally found the recipe on Fav Family recipes. This recipe makes a perfect moist, rich and chocolate bundt cake. This recipe does use a cake mix, so if you’d like to make
A ten-inch bundt cake from the Nothing Bundt Cakes store costs more than $40! This homemade Nothing Bundt Cake takes just a few minutes to whip together, is super cheap, and the end result if both beautiful and delicious.
You’ll notice the ingredients in this cake use both a cake mix and a box of instant pudding. This cake is one of the “from scratch” exceptions I make because I think it tastes every bit as delicious as a homemade cake. However, you can use my homemade chocolate bundt cake recipe to make a chocolate bundt cake from scratch. You can add chocolate chips to it and use the same cream cheese frosting.
HOW TO GET THE CAKE OUT OF THE BUNDT PAN:
How to make a Bundt Cake:
- Mix together the cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, water and oil. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Grease the bundt pan with shortening and flour (see my tips for this, below). Add the cake batter.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a wire cooling rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, prepare the frosting. I use a pastry bag with a coupler inside, (and no piping tip), to pipe the frosting. If you don’t have a pastry bag, add the frosting to a ziplock bag and cut a hole in the corner.
- Start at the outside edge of the cake and drag a line of frosting up and over the top of the cake, into the center hole.
Nothing bundt cakes stay fresh in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days. I also love these cakes because they’re very freezer friendly! To freeze the cake, put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes, uncovered, to set the frosting. Cover it really well with plastic wrap and then tinfoil and freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the cake from the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before serving.
Nothing Bundt Cakes are also popular for having a cute flour or tissue paper ball in the center of them for decoration. I’ve included instructions to make a tissue paper pom pom ball, at the bottom of the post.
Consider trying these bundt cake recipes:
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Poppyseed Cake
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake
Nothing Bundt Cake Copycat Recipe
- 1 package devils food cake mix (or homemade)
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease and flour your bundt cake pan. (See my tips for properly greasing a bundt pan, above in the post.)
- Mix the first six cake ingredients together. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into your greased bunt cake pan. Bake at 350 for 45-50 min. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting the cake onto a wire cooling rack. I also like to run a butter knife gently around the edges of the pan to make sure the cake isn't sticking, before I turn it out.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until light fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar, mixing for several minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add more powdered sugar, to taste, if needed.
To frost the cake:
- Spoon frosting into a pastry bag with no tip attached, or into a ziplock bag, with the corner cut. Starting at the outer edge of the bundt cake squeeze and pull a line of frosting up and over the cake, into the center hole.
- Repeat this process all around the cake. Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freeze, covered well, for up to 3 months.
How to Make a Tissue Paper Pom-Pom
- Cut 8 pieces of regular sized tissue paper in half, long ways.
- Stack tissue paper. Make 1 1/2 inch accordion folds.
- Fold a piece of floral wire in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist.
- Use scissors to trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.
Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time, until your pom pom ball is formed.
Place ball on top of cake!
*I originally shared this recipe May 2011. Updated April 2019.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you!