This is an easy and moist chocolate bundt cake recipe. Top your homemade chocolate cake with chocolate chips and smother it in chocolate ganache for a next cake that everyone will love!
You know what I really love about bundt cakes? You can make them look really pretty without any special piping or cake decorating materials. I love this red velvet bundt cake with a sprinkling of white sugar crystals to make it look pretty.
I’m not going to lie, my go-to recipe for a chocolate bundt cake is usually this doctored-up cake mix version. Last year I made 12 of them into chocolate peppermint bundt cakes (using the cake-mix version) for a huge Christmas party. They freeze beautifully, so I made them all two weeks in advance.
They were a huge hit at the party, and completely low-stress for me.
As much as I love the cake-mix version, I’ve been determined to make a fantastic, homemade chocolate bundt cake, and this one is just that! I added some mini chocolate chips to the batter to make it extra chocolatey and delicious.
How to make chocolate bundt cake:
Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Next, in a saucepan, melt the butter and add the oil, cocoa, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, then pour it on top of the dry ingredients. Then stir in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and pour it in your bundt pan, and cook for 45-55 minutes!
Chocolate ganache icing:
It doesn’t get much simpler or easier than this homemade ganache. Make the chocolate ganache by first heating the cream until simmering. Then pour your chocolate chips into the cream and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Whisk it until smooth and drizzle it over your chocolate cake!
Use a spoon to drizzle it on top of top of the cake and you’ve got yourself a beautiful, simple, irresistible chocolate bundt cake!
Try these Bundt Cake Recipes:
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Poppyseed Cake
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake
Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips , plus more for sprinkling on top of cake (optional)
For the ganache:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
For the Chocolate Bundt Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a standard size bundt pan (make sure to grease it really well so the cake doesn't stick! I spread a thin layer of shortening all over the inside of the pan, then sprinkle a little flour all around and pat and shake the pan until it is evenly coated.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, set aside.
- Add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once butter has melted, stir in oil, cocoa powder and water and bring mixture just to a boil, whisking constantly. Pour hot butter mixture into flour mixture and stir.
- Stir in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla and whisk mixture until well combined. Fold in mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour mixture into prepared bundt pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Once cake has cooled, make ganache.
For the ganache:
- Place cream in a large microwave safe bowl and heat for about 2 minutes, or until the cream is simmering.
- Carefully pour chocolate morsels into cream and allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Whisk the chocolate and cream until shiny and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Use a large spoon to drizzle the ganache over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with remaining mini chocolate chips, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.