This delicious White Texas Sheet Cake recipe has a hint of almond flavoring and is light, moist, and delicious with fresh fruit. This amazing cake is one of my all-time favorites!
My Mother in Law’s Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake is everyone in the family’s favorite! A few years ago my Aunt prompted me to adapt that recipe into a white sheet cake, and since then, this has become our new favorite!
Why I love this cake:
- Easy – Sheet pan cakes are so quick to whip together, and this one bakes in just 20 minutes!
- Light and Fresh – I love topping this cake with fresh berries (we often use strawberries, raspberries and blueberries for a patriotic look!) It’s the perfect sweet treat that wont leaving you feeling like you overindulged.
- Feeds a Crowd – it’s the cake to bring to a BBQ, potluck or party because it feeds a group and is easy to transport. You can even make it a day or two ahead of time.
How to make White Sheet Cake:
Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients Separately: Start by mixing the dry ingredients together; flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix the sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract.
Combine Batter: Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine.
Boil Butter and Water: In a small saucepan, melt the butter and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir into the batter.
Bake: Pour the batter into a greased bakers half sheet, or jelly roll pan and bake for 17-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Prepare Frosting: For the frosting, add milk and butter to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and almond extract. Mix with hand-held mixer to get rid of any lumps. Pour warm icing over warm cake. Use a spatula to gently spread it.
Serve: Allow to cool completely, then top with berries if desired. A trick I’ve learned for cutting this cake is to use a plastic knife! It will glide more smoothly through the frosting.
- Greek Yogurt – I often substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream and always have great results!
- Fruit – Use your favorite fruit on top, or whatever is in season! I love swapping them out for blueberries and raspberries for 4th of July, or fresh peaches.
- Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake – here’s my favorite recipe!
More Popular Cake Recipes:
- Berry Cake
- Oreo Cupcakes
- Nothing Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- Hershey’s Perfect Chocolate Cake
- Coconut Cake with Pineapple Filling
- Cherry Cobbler
Follow me for more great recipes
White Texas Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a bakers half sheet jelly roll pan (13×18'').
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another small bowl mix together the sour cream, eggs and almond extract. Add sour cream/egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add water and butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, remove from heat and add to the batter, mixing to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth with a spatula into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. When the cake is about 5 minutes away from being done cooking, prepare the frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Add milk and butter to a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and almond extract. I like to beat the mixture with my hand-held mixer to get rid of any lumps.
- Pour warm icing over warm cake. Use a spatula to gently spread it evenly over the cake.
- Allow cake to cool completely, then top with fresh berries, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe May 2015. Updated January 2018 and again in May 2023 with a name change from Almond Sheet Cake, to White Texas Sheet Cake.