Apple Bundt Cake made with fresh diced apples, a cream cheese swirl, and a simple homemade caramel sauce that’s drizzled over each slice of cake–it’s to die for!
When apple season rolls around, my biggest problem is deciding which of my ever growing list of apple recipes I should make. Should I opt for the Crisp, the Cobbler, the Cake, the Pie, or the Apple Bundt Cake? It’s these tough decisions that remind me that life is sweet!
I love everything about this Apple Bundt Cake, including how moist and soft it is from the diced apples, and the cinnamon apple flavor combined with a hint of cream cheese filling and the sweet caramel sauce. It’s really one of the best bundt cakes ever! I find any excuse to make it as it’s always a crowd favorite! If you love this one, try my Sticky Toffee Pudding!
About the Apples:
Which type of apples? Any baking apple will work great for this apple bundt cake! I tend to prefer Granny Smith apples but I also like Gala apples, Honeycrisp, and Golden Delicious. Use your favorite apple or whatever you have on hand!
Peel or no peel? For ease and to save time, I like to use my Johnny Apple Peeler to peel and slice the apples all at once. However, you could leave the peel on if you so chose, just make sure not to include any large chunks of peel.
How to Make Apple Bundt Cake:
1. Make the Caramel Sauce: this can be made and stored in the refrigerator up to 1-2 weeks ahead of time.
2. Make the cream cheese filling: beat the cream cheese until smooth, add powdered sugar, vanilla and egg and mix until smooth.
3. Make the cake batter: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside. Toss the diced apples with lemon juice and set aside. In another bowl mix oil and sugars, applesauce and vanilla. Add the egg and mix until well blended. Stir in the dry ingredients and diced apples. Don’t over-mix.
4. Add filling: Pour half of the batter evenly into a greased and floured bundt pan. Spoon the cream cheese mixture in a line along the center of the batter (being careful not to let it touch the sides of the pan). Spoon the remaining batter on top.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool for 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
6. Serve with caramel sauce drizzled on top. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The caramel sauce and filling can be made 2-3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
To freeze: Allow the cake to cool completely and cover it well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and set it on the counter to come to room temperature before serving. Serve with warm caramel sauce.
Consider trying these popular apple recipes:
Apple Bundt Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large apples* , peeled, cored and diced (to make about 3 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
For the Cream Cheese Layer:
Caramel Sauce, for topping
- Make the Caramel Sauce (can be made and store in the refrigerator up to 1-2 weeks ahead of time.)
Cream Cheese Layer:
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and egg and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use (or can be made 2-3 days ahead of time).
- Grease and flour a 9 or 10-inch bundt pan. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside. Toss the diced apples with lemon juice (keeps them from browning) and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl blend the oil and sugars, then mix in the applesauce and vanilla. Add the egg and mix until well blended. Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated, then stir in the diced apples. Don't over-mix. The batter will be thick.
- Pour half of the batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan. Spoon the cream cheese mixture in a line along the center of the batter (being careful not to let it touch the sides of the pan). Spoon the remaining batter on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Once cooled, cut and serve with caramel sauce drizzled on top. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe September 2014. Updated December 2020.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you!
This post contains affiliate links.