Our family’s very favorite Banana Bread Recipe is EASY, moist, and simply perfection! Look no further for a fool-proof banana bread recipe that turns out perfect every time.
Easy Banana Bread Recipe
I first shared this banana recipe way back in 2010. It’s one of those “staple” recipes in my collection that I’ve made a thousand times. I love how simple the ingredients are and how easy it is to make. If you’re looking for a healthier banana bread recipe then be sure to check out my very popular Skinny Banana Bread!
What is banana bread?
Banana bread is a moist, cake-like bread that is a made using ripe, mashed bananas. It’s a “quick bread” which means the leavening agents in the batter are baking soda and baking powder, and not yeast, like regular bread recipes, so it’s ready to bake right away.
How to make Banana Bread:
In a small bowl mash three ripe bananas with a fork.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter until it gets a light and fluffy texture. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next, mix in the mashed bananas and milk.
In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: four, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed sugar mixture and stir until the batter is just combined, but don’t over-mix it.
Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch (or similar size) bread loaf pan and cook at 325 degrees for about an hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Tips for moist and perfect banana bread:
- Use room temperature ingredients, particularly the eggs and butter.
- For extra moist and soft banana bread, don’t over-mix the batter! Especially when you add the flour mixture, just lightly mix it in.
- If the bread is browning too much in the oven before the time is up, place a piece of tinfoil over it.
Tips for storing banana bread:
You can store banana bread at room temperature for 3-5 days. You can also freeze banana bread. I do this often with banana bread or with banana bread muffins and they freeze perfectly!
To freeze banana bread, allow the loaf or muffins to cool to room temperature and then store them in a freezer safe ziplock bag, removing all the air that you can. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw the banana bread, simply take it out of the freezer and let it come to room temperature before serving.
Other Banana Bread Variations:
- Banana Nut Bread: Simply chop your favorite nuts (I love to add walnuts) and gently stir them in the batter at the very end.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Stir in a cup or more of chocolate chips to the batter at the end of preparation.
- Healthy Banana Bread: I often make a healthy banana bread with a few small changes including cutting the sugar in half. Check out my Skinny Banana Bread or Skinny Banana Bread Muffins.
To make banana bread muffins:
You can use this recipe to make banana bread muffins, if you’d like. Make the batter the same but bake them for around 20-28 minutes.
Consider trying these popular baked goods:
- Greek Yogurt Double Chocolate Muffins
- Lemon Almond Bread
- Banana Bread Bars with Browned Butter Glaze
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy Banana Oat Muffins
Our family's very favorite Banana Bread Recipe is EASY, moist, simply perfection! Look no further for a fool proof banana bread recipe.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (or similar size loaf pan). I also like to line the bottom of the pan with a small piece of parchment or wax paper.
Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
Add the mashed banana and milk and stir to combine.
In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir everything just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Set aside to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before removing the bread from the pan and allowing it to cool completely.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in June 2010. Updated January 2019.