Chocolate Bundt Cake
How to make chocolate bundt cake:
Start by combine all of the cake ingredients with an electric mixer. Then use a spatula to fold in the mini chocolate chips.
Grease and flour your bundt pan and pour the cake mixture into it. Bake the cake for about 45 minutes and cool completely before frosting!
I’ve found the easiest way to frost a chocolate bundt cake with cream cheese frosting is to use a pastry bag and coupler, with no piping tip. The round hole in the coupler is the perfect size for a rounded lined of frosting to drape down the sides of the cake, just like how they frost them cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes.
If you’d like to put a fun pom-pom ball in the center of the cake, check out this tutorial!
What is the difference between a bundt cake and a regular cake?
Obviously, if you bake a cake in a bundt pan, the cake will be called a bundt cake. The real difference between the two lies in the thickness and size of the bundt pan vs. a regular cake pan.
A typical bundt pan recipe uses a 10×3 inch bundt pan that has a volume of about 12 cups. This is close to double the volume of a typical cake recipe. For many cake recipes if you want to use a typical cake recipe but make it in a bundt pan, you may need to double the recipe (and it may make a little extra) and increase the cook time significantly.
How to get the cake out of the bundt pan:
Consider trying these bundt cake recipes:
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake
- Poppyseed Cake
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix ** See note for homemade. (devils food cake or German chocolate cake mixes work well).
- 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract optional
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 candy canes crushed
- Mix cake ingredients together with an electric mixer. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a well-greased bunt cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50mins or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Allow to cool in the pan for 15-20mins. Remove from pan.
- At this point you can frost it and serve it, or you can wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually stir in the powdered sugar. Pipe onto cake. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe December 2013. Updated November 2018.
Cake is good but not outstanding. In my opinion it could use more peppermint flavor. Piping with ziplock bag is difficult and could use more frosting if spreading is needed.
Yummy! We really enjoyed this tonight for our dessert. My only question is my chocolate chips melted into the cake so we didn’t get any nice texture bites with the chips. How do you get your chips to not melt? I’m thinking of freezing them first.
Thanks again. Merry Christmas!
I made this cake and it was delicious! I didnt have a cake mix, so I made it from scratch and substituted half the water with coffee. The family loved it, so I will definitely make this part of our Christmas tradition.
Super frustrated, would like to use the homemade version but: like someone asked,
What to eliminate from the peppermint version if using the recipe from scratch???
You can make my chocolate bundt cake from scratch, and add 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract instead of vanilla.
If making your chocolate bundt cake instead of using the box mix, I understand I don’t use the pudding or sour cream, but do I make the chocolate bundt cake as shown and just add peppermint extract? Or do I change anything else, like using 1 1/2 cup choc chips instead of 1 cup, 2 or 4 eggs, eliminate vanilla, etc.? Thanks!
See More Comments