Incredibly light and tender homemade Poppy Seed Cake, perfect for brunch or dessert!
I’m a huge fan of simple, CLASSIC recipes, like this Poppy Seed Cake. The ingredients are simple and the presentation is simple. Sometimes it’s the simple sweets that are the most popular!
My mom has been making this poppy seed cake for years. The original recipe came from her friend (thanks Ciel!!) and it’s one our family has grown to treasure.
This poppy seed cake is NOT dense, rich or overly sweet, and that’s part of why I love it so much! It’s like a step-sibling to angel food cake in how light, and mildly sweet it is. I also think it’s beautiful in it’s simplicity.
No frostings or glazes. Just a lightly dusting of powdered sugar. It’s the perfect cake for serving at brunch with fruit and something warm to drink.
It could definitely be served as a light dessert as well–I’m thinking some sugared strawberries on top and maybe even a spoonful of fresh whipped cream would be divine.
Consider trying these popular bundt cake recipes:
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Poppyseed Cake
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake
Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk , divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- powdered sugar for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and 1 1/4 cups of the granulated sugar. Stir in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the 3/4 cup milk, a little bit at a time, stirring gently after each addition, starting and ending with flour.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until they stand in soft peaks and then beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the bundt pan before inverting on a wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top of the cake before serving.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.