I’ve gone super “Americana” on us with this recipe. There’s hardly a more classic American meal then good ol’ sloppy joes! I don’t know a kid that would ever turn these down for dinner.
And just when you may want to roll your eyes at a dish as simple as sloppy joes, I’m here to tell ya, this recipe is GREAT! It can’t even be compared to the horrible stuff you buy in the can.
It has the perfect sauce/beef ratio and it’s packed with flavor. I love the extra boost of flavor that the BBQ sauce adds to it. Not to mention how incredibly EASY this recipe is.
How to make sloppy Joes:
Start by browning the ground beef in a large skilley. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender and translucent.
Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and allow everything to simmer together for 30 minutes. (The simmering time is a crucial part of the recipe because it allows the flavors to meld together).
After letting the sloppy joe mixture simmer, serve it warm on a toasted hamburger bun!
To make sloppy Joes healthier:
Try making turkey sloppy joes by substituting ground turkey in place of ground beef. You can also sneak veggies into your sloppy joes! You could easily add some chopped bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, or shredded carrot, and your kids wouldn’t notice a difference :-).
To cut down on carbs, serve your sloppy joes open face, with a piece of cheese placed on top, and broiled in the oven for 2 minutes. YUM!
Sides for Sloppy Joes:
- Baked potato wedges
- Side salad
- Steamed Corn
- Potato chips
Consider trying these kid-friendly recipes:
- Gourmet Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- Spaghetti Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauces
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 hamburger buns
- Add beef to a large pan over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, crumbling and stirring, until browned. Drain grease.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm, inside a hamburger bun.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.