The easiest, BEST homemade BBQ sauce that’s perfect for marinating, dipping, and grilling. A combination of smokey, tangy, thick and sweet flavors that will have your mouth smiling with every bite.
It’s officially summer! We’ve have been playing at the pool, or on the slip-n-slide in our yard almost every day this week. It’s so fun to watch and help my kids learn how to swim. Jackson has always loved the water–splashing in it, dumping it on himself and playing in it. But when it comes to “deep water” swimming, he gets really timid.
Then there’s my two-year-old daughter who is the total opposite. She doesn’t want to get “sprayed” at a splash park, or by the slip-n-slide, but she LOVES to go swimming. She is totally fearless in the pool with her little puddle jumper on. (I’m totally obsessed with these puddle jumpers by the way. They are nicer then the ones you can buy at the store because the fabric is softer and wont irritate their skin.)
But I”ll tell you what, a day in the sun or at the pool with three kids under 4 years old is exhausting! We come back in the house and I’m totally wiped out. Luckily my husband takes over dinner duties when he gets home from work, which always means firing up the grill!
I’m convinced that grilling is the best way to cook every meal during the summer. I love that there is no mess of dishes afterwards, and you just cant beat that smokey-grill taste.
This BBQ sauce guys, is unbeatable! The flavor combo is killer. You know how some homemade bbq sauces can taste too sweet, or too vinegar-y or too ketchup-y? This one is PERFECT!
It has a little tang and sweetness, and a little smokey flavor that I can’t get enough of. Liquid smoke helps to add that amazing smokey flavor. I’m convinced that stuff was made by a wizard. It’s magical. How in the world is it possible to bottle-up that smokey flavor? Blows my mind. You can buy liquid smoke at your local grocery store in the BBQ sauce aisle.
I love to make this sauce and keep it in the fridge for several weeks. Depending on your family size you could double the recipe to make a bigger batch. It’s delicious for marinating bbq chicken, spooning on hamburgers or ribs, or dipping as a sauce. It’s my go-to when I don’t have a dinner plan. Simply pour some into a ziplock bag and add some chicken tenders or breasts to marinate for an hour.
Smokey, tangy, thick and sweet homemade BBQ sauce that's perfect for marinating, dipping and grilling.
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hickory flavored liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and mix together until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or up to one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools.
- Store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Makes about 2.5 cups sauce
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.