When it comes to potato salad, I don’t like anything fancy–I like it totally traditional with none of that weird stuff thrown in! That’s what this recipe is. It’s the old fashioned, traditional potato salad you think of for a summertime barbeque. It’s the potato salad that goes perfect with a burger and a side baked beans and fruit! 🙂
- 5 lbs potatoes (red or yukon gold)
- 6 dill pickles , diced
- 2 celery sticks , chopped
- 7-8 hard boiled eggs , peeled and chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise (light mayo works well)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
Peel the potatoes and chop into bite size pieces. Place in a large pot of boiling water and cook until tender (about 8-10 minutes) Drain water and allow potatoes to cool.
Make the dressing by combining all ingredients and blending until smooth and well combined. Put potatoes in a large bowl and add the pickles, celery and hard boiled eggs.
Pour in half of the dressing mixture and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate potato salad (and reserved dressing mixture) until ready to eat. It's best if it refrigerates for several hours or overnight. When ready to eat, pour the remaining dressing on top and stir to combine. Enjoy!