This easy Homemade Ketchup recipe uses pantry ingredients and is better than anything you can buy at the store! It is healthier and more delicious too!
Looking for more homemade condiments/sauces? Try my Orange Marmalade, Enchilada Sauce, or the BEST Homemade BBQ Sauce!
Why I love this recipe:
- Easy – Whip up this tomato ketchup in under 30 minutes then store in the fridge! It’s a simple, one pot recipe!
- Pantry Ingredients – Out of ketchup? Chances are you already have everything you need to make this, and I promise it will be worth it!
- Delicious – This easy ketchup recipe tastes fresh and better than anything that you can buy at the grocery store! It has no artificial ingredients or corn syrup, so it’s healthier too!
- Tomato Paste
- Tomato Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Optional: Crushed Red Pepper or Hot Sauce
How to make Ketchup:
Simmer Ketchup: Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring well. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Sweeteners and spices can be adjusted, to taste.
Serve: The options are endless with homemade ketchup! But I love to serve it with Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, Homemade French Fries, Classic Juicy Hamburger, or this Turkey Burger.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This easy ketchup recipe can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Just store in a glass pint jar or other glass container with a lid.
To Freeze: I suggest homemade ketchup freezing in ice cube trays, then once frozen, store the cubes in a freezer Ziploc bag for easy access and quick thawing.
- Tomato Paste: You can make tomato paste from scratch. If you’d like to use fresh garden tomatoes for ketchup, I suggest this recipe, or this one for home canning https://www.pickyourown.org/ketchup.htm.
- Sugar: Can substitute honey, Stevia, Splenda, Agave, or leave it out, depending on taste and dietary preferences. Keep in mind that each will alter the flavor (especially honey).
Use Ketchup With:
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Sweet Potato Fries or Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Homemade French Fries or Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Turkey Burgers
- Classic Juicy Hamburger Recipe
- Quinoa Burger
- Mini Meatloaf
- Easy Grilled Chicken Burgers
- The BEST Black Bean Burger
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Popcorn Chicken
- Breakfast Potatoes
Follow me for more great recipes
- 6 oz can tomato paste*
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar*
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar*
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt , or more, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , or more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- ground cinnamon , dash
- optional: dash of crushed red pepper or hot sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring well.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Store in a glass pint jar or other glass container with a lid, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Sweeteners and spices can be adjusted, to taste.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Dante’s garden and needs recipes to help me. Glad I found your site. Thank you.