This easy Cucumber Onion Salad recipe is a delicious combination of cool cucumber, sweet onion, and tangy marinade that can be made in advance and is perfect for any BBQ or Summer party.
Why I love this recipe:
- Fresh and Simple – With only a few ingredients and 3 easy steps, this is the salad of summer! The fresh cool cucumbers are perfectly complimented with the sweet onion and simple vinegar dressing.
- Make Ahead – I love that I can throw this salad together hours before a party. I love to take it to BBQ’s, potlucks, or any summer party.
- Cucumbers: Use mini cucumbers or English cucumbers because you don’t need to peel them, they have fewer seeds and are less watery. Any cucumbers will work, but regular, cucumbers have a thicker skin that you may want to peel first.
- Onion: I recommend using a sweet onion or red onion so that the flavor doesn’t overwhelm the cucumbers. You could also soak the onions in water first, to reduce their “bite”, but it’s not required.
- Vinegar: I used a combination of white vinegar and red vinegar, but you can use what you have on hand including cider vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.
- Salt and pepper
How to make Cucumber Salad:
Chop vegetables: Slice the sweet onion and cucumbers into thin slices and place in a bowl.
Mix Dressing: Combine the vinegar, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper.
Toss Together: Toss dressing over veggies and stir to combine. Refrigerate cucumber onion salad until ready to serve.
Make Ahead Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Prepare salad and store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Add tomato, basil and avocado, or try my Tomato Cucumber Salad.
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad: Add cubed watermelon, feta cheese, and some fresh basil before serving. Or try my favorite Watermelon Salad!
- Grilled Chicken
- BBQ Drumsticks
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Grilled Chicken Burgers
- Steak Kabobs
- Chicken Kabobs
Follow me for more great recipes
- Cut the cucumbers into thin slices. Slice the wedge of sweet onion into very thin slices. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing–it's easy to adapt it if you want it to be a little sweeter or more tangy.
- Pour dressing over veggies and toss to combine. For best results, allow the mixture to marinate for at least an hour before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe July 2017. Updated March 2020 and June 2022.
This post contains affiliate links.