The BEST recipe for thick, chewy, gooey, rice krispie treats that put the old “box” recipe to shame! Make them the traditional way or try fun mix-ins like M&M’s, chocolate and sprinkles.
Rice Krispie Treats check off every box you could hope for: they’re quick and easy to make, they’re inexpensive, there’s no baking required, and they beloved by just about everyone because, c’mon, they’re DELICIOUS.
If you’ve ever followed the recipe from the box of rice krispies cereal you probably ended up with mediocre rice krispies. That recipe is fine, but the end result is very thin rice krispies treats that aren’t overly soft or gooey. You can do better!
That’s what sets this recipe apart. The end result is perfect THICK, chewy, gooey rice krispies treats! They’re not dry or thin, and there’s so much more of that amazing marshmallow flavor that everyone loves. They have the perfect texture and crunch, and they last well even after day 1 of making them (unlike the box recipe, where they get hard really fast).
These are the kind of rice krispie treats that have a marshmallow “pull” when you remove them from the pan. OHHH yeah! They are, in my humble opinion ;-), the BEST!
How to make homemade Rice Krispie Treats:
The ingredients you need to make Rice Krispies treats are marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies cereal (or other generic store brand of crispy cereal).
To make homemade rice Krispies treats, first, pour the Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Next, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Next, add the marshmallows to the butter and stir until they are melted. Then pour the butter marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies cereal and stir until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture in greased a 9×13 inch pan and press lightly with your hands until it is evenly spread throughout the pan.
Are Rice Krispie Treats good for you?
Unfortunately, Rice Krispies treats are just that, a treat. Even though there are only three simple ingredients, they don’t provide the nutrients that your body needs to keep properly fueled. If you’d like to use rice krispies cereal to make a healthier snack, try these healthy granola bites, or homemade granola bars.
How should Rice Krispie Treats be stored?
These rice krispies will stay soft and delicious for up to two days. I like to wrap each rice krispies square individually in plastic wrap, to make sure they stay soft. If you want to store them for longer than two days, try freezing them!
To freeze rice krispies, allow them to cool completely and cut them into squares. Wrap each square in a piece of wax paper and place them in a gallon freezer bag. Freeze them for up to 3 months.
Consider trying these fast and easy treats:
- Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Bars
- The BEST Mint Brownies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Best Ever Peanut Butter Bars
Rice Krispie Treats
- 14 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- 12 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour cereal into an extra large bowl. Grease a 9x13'' pan lightly with butter or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add butter and 12 cups of marshmallows to a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the marshmallows have melted--don't over cook! Remove from heat as soon as the marshmallows have melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually pour mixture over the cereal, stirring the cereal as it's poured to even coat everything. Stir in remaining 2 cups of marshmallows.
- At this point you could add other mix-ins like chocolate pieces, or m&m's (allow the rice krispies to cool for a minute or two before adding them, so they don't melt immediately).
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press the cereal down evenly. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares.
- For best results, store rice krispies wrapped individually in plastic wrap for up to 2 days, or freeze (instructions for freezing are in the post above).
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.