Old Fashioned Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a very easy cake to make and will become one of your favorites! Perfect for using up leftover zucchini or for an easy summer dessert.
Old fashioned cakes like this Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting are the BEST! Don’t get me wrong, there is definitely a time and a place for fancy, layered round cakes, but there’s nothing quite like the ease of a cake made in a 9×13” pan. Some of my favorite super easy old-fashioned cakes, like this one, include:
If you’re a fan of carrot cake (it’s my FAVORITE!) then you will absolutely die over this cake. It’s AMAZING. Perfectly light in a “melt-in-your-mouth” kind of way. The cream cheese frosting is, obviously, the perfect accompaniment.
The last time I made this my husband declared it “better than restaurant” quality. High praise from a guy who isn’t crazy about zucchini 😉 . This Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a must-try, especially with all of your fresh zucchini this summer.
Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 cups grated zucchinis about 1 large
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 6 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13'' baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a separate mixing bowl beat together the sugars, oil and applesauce.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla, and sour cream (or Greek yogurt).
- Stir in grated zucchini.
- Add flour mixture and stir, just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a mixing bowl and cream together until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until fluffy, about 3-4 more minutes.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake. Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon sugar on top, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.