The best M&M Cookies recipe is a classic soft and chewy cookie that deserves a place in every recipe box. Check out my tips and adaptations in the post below.
We’ve been on a cookie marathon over here and now my freezer is stocked (for better or worse) with several different types of cookies including: Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies, Snickerdoodles, and Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
What I Love about this recipe:
- Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies – The chocolate chips in this M&M recipe really take it to a whole other level! I like to use mini chocolate chips rather than regular so they don’t take away from the real star of the show.
- Freezer Friendly – I love to keep a batch of these homemade M&M cookies in the freezer (see instructions below).
- Versatile – Replace the M&M’s with various colors or other candies depending on the holiday or season!
How to Make M&M Cookies:
1. Combine Dry Ingredients: Pour in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Combine Wet Ingredients: Cream butter and sugars very well then add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Mix Together: Gradually mix sugar mixture with the flour and mix until combined. Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips.
4. Form Dough: (about 3 Tablespoons full) and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake these easy M&M cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges (Do not over bake). Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Prepare the best M&M cookie dough up to 5 days in advance and store in the refrigerator. Or bake the cookies 1-2 days in advance.
To Freeze Cookie Dough: Scoop the cookie dough into dough balls and place them on a baking sheet. “Flash freeze” the dough by covering it loosely with plastic wrap and putting it in the freezer for 1 hour. Once the dough has hardened, move the dough balls to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow M&M cookie dough to thaw on the counter before baking, or bake from frozen, adding a few additional minutes to bake time.
To Freeze M&M Cookies: Allow soft M&M cookies to cool completely and store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- Triple Chocolate M&M Cookies: Add white chocolate chips.
- Monster Cookies: Add peanut butter and oats.
- Holiday cookies: Use holiday themed M&M’s or candies in place of regular M&M’s and these are perfect for every occasion.
- M&M Cookie Bars
Follow me for more great recipes
- Stand Mixer optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups butter , softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 1 eggs , room temperature
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup m&m’s
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silplat mat.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add butter, sugar and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat well until creamed together.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in the flour and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and m&m’s.
- Scoop dough into large balls (about 3 Tablespoons) and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges (Do not over bake.)
- Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this post December 2015. Updated March 2020 with process photos and instructions.
I originally shared this post December 2015. Updated March 2020 and February 2022.
Crispy on the edges yet tender goodness on the inside filled with yummy chocolate equals perfection! I had plain M&M’s and peanut butter flavors and so I decided to try both so I split the cookie dough AFTER I added the mini chocolate chips but BEFORE the M&M’s (1/2 cup each) and the vote was BOTH were equally yum-azing!!!
I have just made the cookies and they came out absolutely perfect! They are soooooo good! Thank you so much for this great recipe. By the way, I used a large egg.
See More Comments