Soft and chewy M&M Cookies are a classic recipe that deserves a place in every recipe box. Check out my tips and adaptations in the post below.
We’ve been on a cookie marathon over here and now my freezer is stocked (for better or worse) with several different types of cookies including: Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies, Snickerdoodles, and Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies.
What I Love about this recipe:
- Chocolate Chip M&M cookies: the chocolate chips in this M&M recipe really take it to a whole other level! I like to use mini chocolate chips rather than regular so they don’t take away from the real star of the show.
- Freezer friendly: I love to keep a batch in the freezer (see instructions below)
- Versatile: Replace the M&M’s with various colors or other candies depending on the holiday or season!
How to Make M&M Cookies:
1. Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Combine wet ingredients: Cream butter and sugars very well then add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Mix together. Gradually mix sugar mixture with the flour and mix until combined. Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips.
4. Scoop dough into large balls (about 3 Tablespoons full) and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges (Do not over bake). Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Prepare the cookie dough up to 5 days in advance and store in the refrigerator. Or make the cookies 1-2 days in advance.
To freeze cookie dough: Scoop the cookie dough into dough balls and place them on a baking sheet. “Flash freeze” the dough by covering it loosely with plastic wrap and putting it in the freezer for 1 hour. Once the dough has hardened, move the dough balls to a freezer safe container and store for up to 3 months. Allow dough to thaw on the counter before baking.
To freeze M&M cookies: Allow cookies to cool completely and store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
- Triple Chocolate M&M Cookies: Add white chocolate chips.
- Monster Cookies: Add peanut butter and oats.
- Holiday cookies: Use holiday themed M&M’s or candies in place of regular M&M’s and these are perfect for every occasion.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups butter , softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 1 eggs , room temperature
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup m&m’s
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silplat mat.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add butter, sugar and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat well until creamed together.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in the flour and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and m&m’s.
- Scoop dough into large balls (about 3 Tablespoons) and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges (Do not over bake.)
- Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this post December 2015. Updated March 2020 with process photos and instructions.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.