What is baked potato salad?
This recipe is different from traditional potato salad for two reasons. First, the potatoes are baked instead of boiled, which also makes it easier for you, since you don’t have to keep an eye on boiling water.
Second, instead of tossing it with a mayo/mustard sauce, pickles, and hard boiled eggs, like you would with traditional potato salad, this baked potato salad is dressed more like you would top a baked potato: sour cream, salt and pepper, cheese, onions and bacon.
How to make homemade baked potato salad:
Peel the skins and chop into small pieces.
Season them with salt and pepper, and toss them in a creamy sauce consisting of sour cream and mayonnaise. You could substitute the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt if you want to pack a little more protein in this dish and no one would know the difference!
This is such a simple side dish but it’s unique twist in flavor is ALWAYS met with rave reviews.
Serve potato salad with:
Baked Potato Salad
- 2 pounds russet potatoes , about 6 medium-size
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices bacon , cooked and chopped
- 5 green onions , chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash potatoes and prick them with a fork or knife.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until they are fork tender. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- At this point you can peel all of them, or peel half of them and leave the skin on the other half to get a real baked potato feel. Cut the potatoes into small, pieces.
- Combine the sour cream and mayonnaise in a bowl and stir well.
- Add the potatoes to a large serving bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. Add the sauce (just enough to coat them well--you may not use it all) and gently stir to coat.
- Add most of the bacon, onion and cheese, reserving some for topping at the end, and gently stir to combine.
- Check out these other BBQ Side Dishes!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
*I originally shared this recipe in June 2015. Updated April 2018.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.