I love the tropical sweetness of this fluffy Ambrosia Salad, made with pineapple, mandarin oranges, yogurt, mini marshmallows, coconut and whipped cream. This easy side dish is always a crowd favorite!
What’s not to love about fluffy desserts that can pass as a “salad” side dish, like this delicious cranberry fluff salad we serve at Thanksgiving and Christmas, or this “frog eye” acini de pepe fruit salad?
I particularly love Ambrosia Salad around Easter time because the soft pastel colors remind me of the season. Many recipes for ambrosia salad use cool whip, but if you’ve followed my blog at all, you know I would never use cool whip when I could substitute fresh whipped cream. The taste is so much better!
I love the flavors from the sweetened whipped cream, coconut, yogurt and tropical fruits. And who can resist the colorful mini marshmallows? YUM! This salad is always a crowd pleaser.
How to Make Ambrosia Salad:
- Add whipping cream to a large bowl or stand mixer and beat with electric beaters for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in yogurt. Fold in remaining ingredients (make sure the canned fruits are very well drained).
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Instructions:
Ambrosia Salad can be made several hours or up to 1 day ahead of time, but for best results, leave the marshmallows out and stir them in just before serving.
Consider trying these Fruit Salads:
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Jello Fruit Salad
- Apple Cranberry Fruit Salad
- Frog Eye Fruit Salad (Acini de Pepe)
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Citrus Fruit Salad
Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 11- ounce can mandarin oranges , drained
- 8 ounce can pineapple tidbits , drained
- 1 cup Maraschino cherries , drained
- 1 1/2 cups mini fruit-flavored marshmallows s
- Other optional fruit salad add-ins: chopped pecans , sliced bananas, chopped apples
- Add whipping cream to a large bowl or stand mixer and beat with electric beaters for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in yogurt.
- Drain canned fruits very well, then add remaining ingredients to a large serving bowl.
- Fold in whipped cream mixture. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe March 2017. Updated March 2021.
Process photos by Nikole from The Travel Palate