My favorite cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread has hints of sweet and spice, is extra moist and flavorful, and a fun twist on traditional cornbread. Serve it as side dish with soup or chili.
What I love about this recipe:
- Easy – Only 10 minutes to prep and made with pantry ingredients!
- Unique – Everyone loves cornbread, and this unique twist is packed with even more flavor! Don’t be afraid of the jalapeños. They only add a small hint of spice, and even my toddler loves it.
- Delicious – The texture is moist, tender, and tastes better than any box mix!
How to make Jalapeño Cornbread:
Stir flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Mix melted butter, buttermilk, and honey in a separate bowl until well combined. Whisk in the eggs.
Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in jalapeño peppers and shredded cheese. Do not over mix; it’s okay if there are a few lumps.
Pour into greased 8’’ pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
To Store: Allow to cool, then cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store at room temperature for 1-2 days, or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To Freeze: Freeze baked and cooled cornbread in an airtight freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and rewarm in the microwave or covered with foil on low heat in the oven.
- Cornbread Muffins: Divide batter into greased or lined muffin pan cups. Bake for around 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Makes 12 muffins.
- Skillet Cornbread: Baking cornbread in a skillet gives it a delicious crisp crust. Bake this cornbread in a 9-inch or 10-inch oven safe greased skillet at the same temperature for the same amount of time.
- Buttermilk Cornbread is also delicious, if you’re looking for a sweet, cake like cornbread recipe.
Follow me for more great recipes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers , seeded and minced
- 1 heaping cup shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese (optional)
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the melted butter, buttermilk, and honey until well combined. Whisk in the eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Stir in the jalapeño peppers and shredded cheese. Do not over mix; it's okay if there are a few lumps.
- Pour into a greased 8’’ pan and bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!