Everyone loves this easy Broccoli Salad recipe made with bacon, almonds, raisins or craisins and onion in a delicious creamy and tangy dressing.
Your kids may just want to eat their broccoli first, if it’s in the form of this Broccoli Salad! It’s a CROWD PLEASER! The flavor combination is absolutely delicious: the crunch from the broccoli and almonds, paired with the bacon, onions and creamy dressing all work together perfectly.
How to make Broccoli Salad:
- Chop the heads of broccoli, discarding the large stems so that just the florets remain. Two heads of broccoli will yield about 7 cups of florets. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute. This will enhance their color and texture for the salad.
- Cook the bacon. Chop the onion and almonds. You can prepare all of these ingredients in advance to make the salad prep go faster.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix the broccoli salad dressing ingredients together: mayonnaise, sugar and apple cider vinegar. (I like to substitute half plain Greek yogurt for the mayo in the dressing because I like the flavor and creaminess it adds.)
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the broccoli–you may not want to use it all. I like to reserve some of the dressing to drizzle on the salad just before serving.
This is a great recipe to customize and make your own! Try adding:
- sunflower seeds
- pine nuts
- chopped cheddar cheese
- raisins instead of craisins
Don’t miss some of my other favorite Healthy Side Dishes:
- 2 heads fresh broccoli , cut into florets
- 1 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt (I often use half plain Greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup almonds , chopped (*see note below)
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Stir well.
- Add broccoli, bacon, onion, cranberries or raisins and almonds to a large bowl. Drizzle with desired amount of sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Toss again to coat before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in March 2015. Updated May 2020 with a video.