Everyone loves this easy Broccoli Salad made with bacon, almonds, raisins or craisins and onion in a delicious creamy and tangy dressing.
Your kids may just want to eat their broccoli first, if it’s in the form of this Broccoli Salad! It’s a CROWD PLEASER! The flavor combination is absolutely delicious, from the crunch of the broccoli and almonds, paired with salty bacon, onions, sweet Craisins and creamy dressing. It doesn’t matter the time of year, the occasion or the entree, this broccoli salad goes well with everything, anytime!
What You’ll Need:
- Broccoli florets: fresh broccoli will taste best in broccoli salad.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Red Onion
- Almonds: or you favorite nuts.
- Onion: chopped red or sweet onion.
- Bacon: cooked and chopped.
How to make Broccoli Salad:
1. Prep ingredients: chop and quickly blanch the broccoli , cook the bacon bits, chop the onion and almonds. You can prepare all of these ingredients in advance (or even make the entire salad up to 1 day in advance).
2. Whisk the dressing. Mix salad dressing ingredients including mayonnaise, sugar and apple cider vinegar. (I like to substitute half plain Greek yogurt for the mayo in the dressing because I like the flavor and creaminess it adds).
3. Toss and refrigerate! Toss the dressing and all of the ingredients in a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
One of my favorite things about broccoli salad is that it’s so customizable. Make some adjustments based on your diet, mood, or what kind of ad-ins you have available. Some of my favorite things to add include:
- Vegan Broccoli Salad: sub vegan mayonnaise and leave out the bacon or use an alternative like coconut bacon.
- Add nuts or seeds: sunflower seeds, pine nuts, pecans.
- Add cheese: I like to add a handful of chopped cheddar cheese.
- Sub raisins for craisins.
More Healthy Side Dishes we LOVE:
- 2 heads fresh broccoli , cut into florets
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I often use half plain Greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup almonds , chopped (*see note below)
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Stir well.
- Add broccoli, bacon, onion, cranberries or raisins and almonds to a large bowl. Drizzle with desired amount of sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Toss again to coat before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in March 2015. Updated December 2020.