This Easy Homemade Salsa recipe is fresh, inexpensive, and only takes 5 minutes to make. It’s better than the restaurant and makes enough for a crowd!
Why I love this recipe:
- Easy – Only 5 minutes of work for a big batch of fresh salsa! It tastes just like the restaurant!
- Enjoy Any Time of Year – We use the highest quality canned tomatoes, so you can enjoy it any time of year!
- Versatile – Enjoy this easy homemade salsa with chips, on top of Mexican recipes, or on top of your morning eggs.
- Tomatoes : Good quality canned tomatoes will make a big difference in the depth of flavor.
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies: I prefer Rotel brand and you can use mild, original, or hot, depending on how spicy you like your salsa.
- Spices: salt, cumin and a pinch of sugar (to cut the acidity of the tomatoes).
- Fresh lime juice
How to make Easy Homemade Salsa:
Combine Ingredients: Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until no large chunks remain.
Taste & Refrigerate: Adjust seasonings if needed, to taste. Refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Serve with the best store-bought tortilla chips, or make your own!
Make Ahead Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This Mexican salsa recipe is easy to make ahead and will stay good stored in the fridge for up to one week.
- Fresh Tomatoes: Try my Fresh Homemade Salsa!
- How to Can Salsa: Read through the guidelines provided by the National Center for Home Food Preservation (they have several recipes for canned salsa, as well).
Use this Easy Salsa on:
- Taco Salad
- Baked Tacos
- Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Taquitos
- Huevos Rancheros
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Mexican Tamales
- Homemade Taquitos
- Loaded Chicken Enchiladas
- Breakfast Quesadillas
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos
Follow me for more great recipes
Easy Homemade Salsa
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes , slightly drained
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles , undrained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 of an onion roughly chopped
- 1 small lime , juice from
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt , or more, to taste
- pinch granulated sugar
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times until no large chunks remain.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed, to taste.
- For best flavor, refrigerate salsa for at least 1-2 hours before serving. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- This recipe makes a little less than 6 cups of salsa. I like to fill 3 pint jars and and share with friends and neighbors.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe December 2018. Updated August 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite recipes with you!