It’s not a party at our house without a big platter of 7-layer bean dip that includes refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese, olives and green onion. Everyone loves this easy Mexican dip!
My husband makes a killer 7-layer Bean Dip; it’s the only thing (besides scrambled eggs) that he takes full ownership of in our kitchen!
What we love about 7 layer bean dip:
15 minute prep: It’s just about the easiest dip to make with just a handful of simple ingredients (see below)
Devoured by everyone! My whole family and every friend I’ve ever served this too rave about it. My kids even like to eat it without the chips. I just put a spoonful in a bowl and they eat it with a spoon.
Prep ahead: The entire dip can be made 1 day ahead of time, or several days ahead of time if you want to add the guacamole (as it will brown).
- Refried beans: make it next level with homemade refried beans or use any brand of canned refried beans.
- Spices: chili powder, garlic, cumin are added to the beans for flavor.
- Avocado: ripe avocado works best so that it will mash easily.
- Lemon juice: added to the mashed avocado for flavor and to help prevent the avocado from browning.
- Sour cream.
- Salsa: Make 5-minute homemade salsa or use your favorite brand.
- Shredded cheese: thinly shredded Mexican blend cheese or your favorite kind.
- Additional toppings: olives, green onions, tomatoes, etc.
How to Make 7-Layer Bean Dip:
1. Flavor the beans: this step is what sets our recipe apart! Our canned refried beans are bland and boring, so be sure to follow the directions to season them with cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. My mom always used to squirt a little of this green sauce in there too. There are no real rules here — just make ’em taste good! It will make all the difference in the end result.
2. Mash the avocado: We don’t want the avocado going brown, so we add 1 Tbs. of lemon juice to it and mash it well with a fork.
3. Layer the layers! As the name implies, there are 7 layers to this bean dip that are each spread over a large plater. First the refried beans are spread in an even layer, then the mashed avocados, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, olives, and green onion. Feel free to add any other desired toppings..
4. Refrigerate or serve! We love to serve this dip with tortilla chips, crackers, or frankly eat it plain!
Consider trying these popular appetizers:
7-Layer Bean Dip
- 2 cans refried beans (black or pinto)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 avocados , peeled and seeded
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or lime juice)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheeses (cheddar and Monterey jack)
- 6 ounces black olives , sliced
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 1 roma tomato diced, for garnish (optional)
- tortilla chips , for serving
- Add the refried beans to a mixing bowl. Season with chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Spread beans into a single layer on a large serving plate or in a 9×13” pan.
- Add avocado and lemon/lime juice to a bowl and mash well with a fork. Spread into an even layer, over the beans.
- Spread sour cream into an even layer, over the mashed avocado layer.
- Dollop small spoonfuls of salsa all over the top of the sour cream layer.
- Sprinkle with cheese, followed by olives, and then green onion. You could also add a diced tomato for garnish (optional).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (this can be made a day in advance). Serve with tortilla chips.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!
I originally shared this recipe September 2017. Updated February 2021.