Most of the men in my life are what I call “meat-and-potato” guys. Out of all the food out there, their everyday favorite meal comes down to the basics. Meat and potatoes…lasagna..and, for my husband, this Chicken Casserole! My mother-in-law mastered this recipe and she kindly granted me permission to share it with y’all. This is a big deal, because this is a treasured family recipe!
You know how the birthday girl or boy usually gets to pick their all time favorite meal for their mom to make on their special day? Well, this is my husbands choice. His mom’s Chicken Casserole. This Pizza Casserole recipe and Italian Meatball Subs would tie for second place 😉 ). He could have anything in the world…but Chicken Casserole is his favorite! It’s a totally classic casserole dish that everyone will love–especially kids and picky eaters. Perfect for a cold night. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal. The epitome of comfort food!
One Year Ago: Homemade Orange Rolls
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup minute rice, uncooked*
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs, hard boiled, sliced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (or homemade)
- 1 Tbsp grated onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl except for the cornflakes and butter. Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Mix crushed cornflakes and melted butter together. Sprinkle over casserole mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.
*I often substitute 2 cups of cooked rice, instead of the minute rice. This recipe works great as a "make-ahead" meal. Make the chicken/rice mixture, pour it in your pan, cover and refrigerate. When you're ready to bake it, sprinkle the buttered cornflakes on top and bake as directed.
You may also like: