This one-pot Chicken Caprese recipe is absolutely delicious, made with chicken breasts baked in an easy balsamic reduction and topped with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil
Why I love this dish:
- One Pot Meal makes for the quick clean-up, and an easy dinner on the table in about 30 minutes!
- Bursting with Flavor – This chicken dish is flavorful, healthy, and tastes so fresh!
How to make Chicken Caprese:
Sear Chicken Breasts. Season chicken on both sides with oil, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and sear in a hot pan with oil, until golden brown on each side.
Make the sauce. Mix together diced red onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Pour mixture into the pan and simmer.
Bake: Return chicken to the pan and spoon sauce over it. Place pan in oven bake until chicken is cooked through.
Add Cheese and Broil. Top each chicken breast with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese has melted completely.
Add fresh sliced tomato and basil on top.
Make it a meal and serve chicken caprese with a green salad and fresh artisan bread.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I enjoy the cold chicken chopped over salad greens, for lunch!
To Freeze: You may freeze the chicken before adding the cheese and tomatoes in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then rewarm and add caprese toppings.
- Grilled Chicken Caprese: Season the raw chicken as directed, but grill on a well greased grill, until cooked through. Add mozzarella cheese and close grill lid until cheese has melted. Add tomato and basil and serve.
- Chicken Caprese Pasta: Double the balsamic sauce and serve the chicken caprese over hot cooked pasta, drizzling the pasta in the extra sauce.
- Chicken Caprese Sandwich: Cook chicken in oven as directed. Serve each cooked breast inside your favorite kind of toasted bread or crusty roll, with a slice of mozzarella, tomato, and handful of arugula. Garnish with salt and pepper and a small drizzle of balsamic sauce.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion , diced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 roma tomatoes , sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese , sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season chicken on both sides with oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add oil, then chicken, and sear chicken quickly, flipping once, just until golden on both sides. Remove to plate.
- Mix together the diced red onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Pour the mixture into the skillet and simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon sauce over it. Place pan in oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees), about 10-20 minutes depending on how thick the breasts are. Remove from oven.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Top each chicken with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Broil just until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh sliced tomatoes and basil and spooning the pan sauce over the top.
- Make it a meal and serve chicken caprese with a green salad and fresh artisan bread.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe May 2019. Updated August 2021.