This Baked Chicken Caprese recipe is a quick and easy weeknight dinner made with chicken, fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, basil and a balsamic reduction. It’s family friendly and delicious!
Something about the name of this recipe, “Chicken Caprese” makes it sounds like a fancy foreign dish. It might look fancy, but this is one of the easiest dinner recipes in my arsenal. You can serve it as is, with some sides, or serve it over pasta. Either way, this chicken caprese recipe is sure to become a new family favorite!
What is Chicken Caprese?
Caprese chicken or chicken caprese is an Italian chicken dish made with the following ingredients: tomatoes, mozzarella, herbs, olive oil, and vinegar. It’s an easy Italian recipe that can be cooked in a variety of ways. This chicken caprese recipe is baked!
How to Make Chicken Caprese:
- Cook the chicken. Season chicken on both sides with oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and cook it in olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet until chicken is golden brown on each side.
- Make the sauce. Mix together the diced red onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Pour the mixture into the pan and simmer.
- Bake. Return chicken to pan with the sauce, place the pan in oven, and roast until the chicken is cooked through.
- Broil. Top each chicken with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese has melted completely.
What to Serve with Chicken Caprese:
Baked Caprese Chicken
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts , halved
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion , diced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tomatoes , thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese ball , sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season chicken on both sides with oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Remove to plate
- Mix together the diced red onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Pour the mixture into the pan and simmer, stirring, 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon sauce over it. Place pan in oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees), about 10-20 minutes depending on how thick the breasts are. Remove from oven.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Top each chicken with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted completely.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh sliced tomatoes and basil and spooning the pan sauce over the top.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.