Chicken tetrazzini will always remind me of my mom, since she made this for us often growing up. She always added spinach to it, so that’s how I learned to enjoy it, but you can make it without it as well. It’s a great recipe for using leftover chicken or turkey and it’s a simple dish that can be whipped up in less than thirty minutes!
What is tetrazzini?
Tetrazzini is an American pasta dish usually made with poultry (chicken or turkey), noodles, and a creamy sauce baked in a casserole dish. The dish is thought to be named after an Italian opera singer, Luisa Tetrazzini.
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini.
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need:
- cream of mushroom soup
- sour cream
- chicken broth
- cooked shredded chicken
- spaghetti noodles
- fresh spinach
- salt and pepper
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
Chicken Tetrazzini in 5 easy steps:
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. If you want to add spinach, add it just as the noodles are finished cooking. Close the lid and let it start to wilt. Then pour all the ingredients in a colander to drain.
- Toss pasta, sauce, and chicken.
- Pour mixture into a baking dish. Then top the mixture with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
Would you like a Healthier version of Chicken Tetrazzini?
There are several things you could do to lighten up the calorie count and increase the fiber and protein in this recipe. Here are a few ideas:
- Use whole wheat spaghetti.
- Substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream. This is one of my favorite substitutions. Greek yogurt is packed with protein, low in fat (I love Fage greek yogurt and it’s fat free with 23g of protein per serving!), and it tastes JUST like sour cream. Win, win, win.
- Make the cream of mushroom soup from scratch.
- Limit the cheese. You can really cut down on the fat content by limiting how much cheese you add.
- Substitute turkey. Turkey is slightly leaner than chicken, though both are thought of as leaner types of meat.
Serve Chicken Tetrazzini with:
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or homemade recipe
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti
- 1 cup fresh spinach (optional)
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl: cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and chicken broth.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, just until al dente. If using spinach, add the fresh spinach leaves to the pot of boiling water and pasta right when it's done cooking. Stir them in to allow them to wilt and then drain everything into a colander.
- Add the pasta to the bowl with the sauce and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in chicken and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour mixture into an 8'' (or similar size) baking pan. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe August 2013. Updated August 2019.