These delicious chicken (or turkey) lettuce wraps always leave me completely satisfied. The flavor is AMAZING, and I love the fresh crunch from the lettuce and veggies. It’s the type of meal I could never get sick of.
I love making lettuce wraps at home because I usually have the ingredients on hand and they always taste healthy and delicious! Plus, I could serve a room full of people lettuce wraps at home for way less than an appetizer at a restaurant like P.F. Chang’s.
How to make lettuce wraps:
To make these Asian chicken lettuce wraps, first marinate the chicken in soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar. While I have those ingredients out, I go ahead and make the sauce for the lettuce wraps too, since you’ll use those, along with sugar, hoisin sauce and cornstarch.
Saute the chicken and then add the water chestnuts, bell pepper, green onion, and ginger. Add the stir-fry sauce and cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Serve warm in a lettuce leaf, topped with sriracha hot sauce.
What is the best lettuce to use for lettuce wraps?
You can use any type of green leafy lettuce for lettuce wraps, but popular types of lettuce include Boston bib lettuce and romaine hearts. The great thing about lettuce wraps is that they are easily modifiable when it comes to the filling and the wrapping. Cabbage leaves would also be a yummy substitute.
Sauce for lettuce wraps:
These lettuce wraps have a simple sauce that really is the key element that makes them so good. The ingredients for the sauce are soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch, for thickening.
Consider trying these delicious lettuce wrap recipes:
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Avocado Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 red bell pepper , finely chopped
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root , minced
- 1 cup water chestnuts , chopped
- 1 head Boston Bib lettuce , or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Sriracha hot sauce , for topping
For the marinade:
- 1 pound ground chicken , or turkey
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Sauce:
- 5 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the Marinade:
- Place marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside.
For the sauce:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the chicken mixture and stir fry 2-3 minutes.
- Push the chicken to the side of the pan and add the bell pepper, ginger, green onions, and water chestnuts. Stir fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, until thickened.
- Serve in lettuce cups, topped with sriracha hot sauce, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe in October 2013. Updated August 2018.