My family goes crazy for these grilled Chicken Street Tacos, and I love how EASY they are to make! Marinated chicken thighs are grilled to perfection and served with warmed corn tortillas, pico de gallo, and cilantro.
Why I love this recipe:
- BEST flavor! – These chicken street tacos pack a punch of fresh flavor, and every person in my family devours them. It’s no surprise they’re such a popular recipes among TBFS fans!
- 30 Minute Meal – Start to finish in less than 30 minutes? Yes please! I love to marinate the chicken hours ahead, or the night before, to make this meal even more effortless.
- Grill – best summertime meal on the grill, so I can keep the house cool and mess-free. Plus, whether you’re making Fish Tacos, a Steak, Hamburger or Grilled Pizzas, the grill adds so much flavor!
What are street tacos?
Mexican street tacos are smaller tacos, typically served on corn tortillas. They are small in size, making it easier for a “street traveler” to enjoy a quick meal. The filling is served on two small corn tortillas so that they don’t rip or tear when piled high with toppings.
How to make Chicken Street Tacos:
Marinate Chicken: Make chicken marinade by combining all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken thighs and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
Grill Chicken: Preheat grill over medium-hight heat. Grease the grill and place chicken from marinade on the grill. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, flipping once (thickest part of the chicken thigh should register about 165 degrees F).
Chop Chicken: Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to rest for several minutes before chopping into small pieces.
Assemble: Warm tortillas on dry grill or skillet on the stove for a few seconds on each side. Layer two warmed mini street corn tortillas together. Top with chopped chicken, pico de gallo, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Feel free to add hot sauce, sour cream, pickled red onion, or other desired toppings. Serve with a side of Mexican Rice, Elotes (Mexican Corn), and a glass of Horchata.
Tips for Perfect Street Tacos:
- Use Chicken Thighs: I like using chicken thighs because they’re a little more forgiving on the grill, super flavorful, and don’t dry out as easily as chicken breasts. That said, you can definitely use chicken breasts for this recipe!
- Let the Meat Rest: Whatever cut of chicken you decide to use, let the meat REST for a few minutes before chopping it up. This is super important in allowing the meat to absorb all of the yummy juices before you cut into it. (The same goes for pretty much any other meat/steak you cook).
- Use the Right Tortillas: Corn tortillas are the BEST to use for these chicken street tacos. I love these mini corn tortillas that are specifically intended for street tacos, but you can use regular corn tortillas instead. Heat corn tortillas on a griddle or skillet for a few minutes on each side, or throw them on the grill for a few seconds.
- Fresh Pico: As with most tacos, the toppings make the difference between average and fantastic, and homemade pico de gallo is the perfect accompaniment to these tacos! It’s incredibly easy to make yourself, or you can even buy a small container from the grocery store (usually in the produce section). As a last resort, substitute regular salsa.
Make Ahead Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The marinade can be made and kept in the fridge for a few days. Marinate the chicken for a few hours, up to overnight to make this meal even easier. Fresh Pico de Gallo can be made one day ahead.
- Authentic Mexican Rice
- Homemade Refried Beans
- 7-Layer Bean Dip
- Tres Leches Cake
- Elotes Recipe (Mexican Corn)
More Taco Recipes:
- Baked Tacos
- Birria Tacos
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Tacos Al Pastor
- Walking Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Instant Pot Lentil Tacos
- BBQ Chicken Tacos
Follow me for more great recipes
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
For the Tacos:
- Marinate Chicken: Make chicken marinade by combining all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken thighs and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Grill Chicken: Preheat grill over medium-hight heat. Grease the grill or spray generously with cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade and place on hot grill. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, flipping once (thickest part of the chicken thigh should register about 165 degrees F). Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to rest for a few minutes before chopping into small pieces.
- Assemble: Warm tortillas on dry grill or skillet on the stove for a few seconds on each side. Layer two warmed mini street corn tortillas together. Top with chopped chicken, pico de gallo, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, pickled red onion, or desired toppings. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing on top.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!
I originally shared this recipe June 2017. Updated May 2023.
This post contains affiliate links.