This easy taco soup recipe is one of my favorite dinner solutions when I want something quick and tasty that my family will LOVE! It can be made in the slow cooker or on the stovetop.
If my kids ever whine “I don’t want to eat that. I want ____, instead!” I always borrow a little phrase my mom would say: “Sorry, I’m not a short order cook!” 🙂 That phrase has so much more meaning to me now that I’m the one making the meals for my family. I cook a meal that works for that night, based off of what needs to be used from the fridge, and they get to decide how much they want to eat. I totally believe it’s part of why my kids eat whatever is in front of them.
It’s just silly to cater to everyone if they’re all asking for something different to eat. However, I LOVE meals like this Taco Soup that are easily tailored to fit everybody’s appetite. My two year old loves avocado chopped on hers, and my four year old wants an extra scoop of “sour cream”. (I totally use Greek yogurt as “sour cream” in our house, and no one is the wiser.) My husband loves crushed tortilla chips and hot sauce in his, and I love extra chopped cilantro in mine. Everybody wins! Plus, the abundant topping ideas really take this soup from delicious —> to fantastic.
This taco soup really is a dinner win! It’s EASY to throw together with simple ingredients, and everything is cooked all in ONE PAN. Hooray for one pan meals!
Also, I’m hoping you’re like me and you’ve already got most of these ingredients in your pantry, begging to be thrown together for a quick weeknight meal. And if not, ADAPT it. You could use pinto beans, add some chopped bell pepper, use diced tomatoes instead of crushed, add some crushed red pepper flakes for extra heat: The sky is the limit to how you can adapt this recipe using what you have in your pantry. Added BONUS: you can totally freeze the leftovers for a meal for another day. You will feel like a rockstar.
You can make this taco soup on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes, or even make it in your slow cooker and let it cook all day long while you’re away. The soup is bursting with flavor from all of the delicious spices, beans, and corn. Then layer it with your favorite toppings and you’ve got a warm, comforting dinner that everyone will love.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves minced (or substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH cumin and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH dried oregano, paprika, onion powder, black pepper
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes undrained
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn drained
- 2 cups beef broth
- Crushed tortilla chips or fritos
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- chopped green onion
- chopped avocado
- Hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- Heat a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Brown the meat and drain any grease, if needed. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with desired toppings.
- For the Slow Cooker Instructions: After browning the meat, place all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
To Freeze: Leftovers freeze great! You could even freeze individual portions in a 12-oz freezer safe container; makes for a great quick lunch or dinner.
(Nutritional label doesn’t include toppings)