It’s easy to make your own 100% natural Taco Seasoning from chili powder, cumin, paprika and a few other common pantry spices. Dodge the packet from the store and perfectly balance every smoky, savory, mild or spicy nuance of flavor!
This traditional, DIY blend of spices goes perfectly with many of our Mexican Recipes including chicken or beef Fajitas, Taquitos, and Shrimp Tacos. Make a big batch and use as a dry rub for meats, or to pep up savory dishes such as casseroles or chili!
Taco Tuesday has become an American tradition and our household is no different. Our kids crunch through the hard-shell variety while my husband and I do Taco Salads topped with black beans, sliced olives and avocados. Switching from stale, filler-stuffed packets to the vibrant flavors of quality fresh spices means none of us can wait for Tuesday!
Ingredients in Taco Seasoning:
- Chili powder: Itself a blend of spices.
- Cumin: This lends that “Mexican” flavor that truly distinguishes taco seasoning.
- Oregano: Fresher, cheaper and in more bulk in the Latin foods aisle.
- Paprika: Try smoked to add depth of flavor.
- Cayenne: Just a pinch to add heat. Proceed with caution, a lot goes a long way!
- Pepper: Fresh ground makes a big difference in flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
How to Make Taco Seasoning:
Combine the above ingredients well and voila! You’re done. The recipe on the card below is approximately equivalent to one store-bought packet.
To store Taco Seasoning:
Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your spice cupboard and use as needed. For maximum freshness use within six months.
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes , optional
- Mix all spices together until well combined.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your spice cupboard and use as needed. Use 2 tablespoons in place of one "packet" of taco seasoning, or to season 1 pound of meat.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Photography by Nikole from The Travel Palate.