This easy Taco Soup recipe is one of my favorite meals when I want something healthy, quick, and tasty. This one-pot meal can also be made in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot.
What I love about this soup:
- One-Pot Meal: Is there anything better? No mess, just an easy recipe with an even easier clean-up.
- Simple Ingredients: You probably already have everything on hand, and only need 5 minutes to prep the best taco soup recipe.
- Instant Pot and Slow Cooker cooking methods are included in the recipe notes, making this meal even easier.
How to Make Taco Soup:
Brown Beef: In a large pot, brown the beef, breaking it into small pieces as it browns.
Simmer: Add beans, diced green chilies, crushed tomatoes, corn, chicken broth, and spices. Bring this mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and let it cook for about 20 minutes.
Serve traditional taco soup with desired toppings like avocado, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, or tortilla chips.
Storage and Freezing Instructions:
To Store: Store soup in the refrigerator for 3-4 days after making. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
To Freeze: Allow creamy taco soup to cool completely. Place in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight and simmer on the stove until warm, or warm in the microwave.
- Instant Pot Taco Soup: Brown ground beef on sauté setting until cooked. Remove grease then add remaining ingredients and add one extra cup of broth. Cook on manual/high pressure for 3 minutes, then allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes before carefully removing the lid.
- Crock Pot Taco Soup: Brown ground beef on the stove then add the cooked ground beef and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours then serve with your favorite toppings.
- Vegetarian Taco Soup: Omit the meat and add extra beans.
- Chicken Taco Soup: Use cooked chicken instead of ground beef.
- Spices: substitute one packet of taco seasoning in place of the dry spices listed in the recipe. Taste, and add additional seasoning if needed.
More 30-Minute Meals:
Follow me for more great recipes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced (or substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes undrained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 15 ounce can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 17 ounce can corn , drained
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Tortilla chips, or fritos
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- green onions , chopped
- avocado , chopped
- hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Brown the meat and remove any grease, if needed. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving. Garnish with desired toppings.
Macros Recipe Adaptation1 lb. ground turkey, 17 ounces frozen corn.
Per Serving Amount523.8 grams
Macros431 kcal, Fat: 8g, Carbs: 58g, Protein: 34g (serves 5) | MFP: Taco Soup (TBFS Macros)
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe September 2017. Updated November 2019, September 2021 and October 2023.
This post contains affiliate links.