If you haven’t noticed from this and this soup post, I’ve been in a soup craze lately! It’s just one of those meals that’s always warm and comforting, but also allows me to add lots of hidden, fresh veggies for my little guy to eat. Since my Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini recipe has been so popular, I wanted to try a tortellini soup inspired version of it! Boy am I glad I did–this is seriously a new favorite!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes , to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 8 oz cheese tortellini (the refrigerated kind)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tortellini and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 7 minutes.
Add the parmesan cheese, stirring gently until it melts. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts. Remove from heat and stir in the greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped basil. Serve warm.
Adapted from Closet Cooking