This creamy Tortellini Soup recipe has cheese tortellini in a creamy vegetable broth with fresh basil, diced tomatoes, and spinach. It’s a healthy comfort food that’s easy, delicious!, and ready in under 30 minutes!
Want more soup recipes? Chicken and Dumplings, Cioppino, and Beef Stew are some of my favorites!
I’m a big fan of dinners like this tortellini soup that you can make ahead of time, or throw together in 30 minutes, right before you’re ready to eat. That way I can buy what I need, and depending on how my days goes, I can start prepping it in the morning. Or if I don’t get to it early, I know it will be easy to throw together at dinnertime. This recipe was inspired by my Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini pasta that has been so popular. And if you love tortellini, I’ve got several other tortellini recipes.
What I LOVE about this soup recipe:
- Refrigerated Tortellini – The refrigerated tortellini is inexpensive and it tastes better than the dry packaged kind. Plus, it cooks faster!
- Creamy, but not too creamy – This is a healthier tortellini soup recipe but still feels like your enjoying a nice comforting creamy soup. The broth consists of 3 cups of vegetable broth and just ½ cup of cream (or half and half) stirred in at the end.
- Versatile – This easy tortellini soup shines as the main dish but it can also be a fun appetizer or side.
How to Make Tortellini Soup:
Sauté Onion: Melt oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
Add Tomatoes and Seasoning: Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and dried basil. Season with salt and pepper. Taste broth and adjust seasonings if needed.
Cook Tortellini: Bring soup to a gentle boil and then add the tortellini. Cook for a few minutes, until tortellini are tender.
Add Spinach and Cream: Remove from heat and stir in spinach, parmesan cheese, and cream.
Serve: Enjoy this vegetarian tortellini soup topped with chopped basil and fresh parmesan cheese. Serve warm with Easy Homemade Breadsticks.
Freezing and Storing Instructions:
To Store: Keep spinach tortellini soup covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To Freeze: Make the cheese tortellini soup up to step 3 (before adding the tortellini). Allow it to cool, and store it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. To reheat, heat the soup until boiling, add the tortellini, and cook for a few minutes until tender. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, parmesan cheese, and cream.
- Sausage Tortellini Soup: We often like to add cooked ground sausage to this recipe. Cook it with the onion in step 1.
- More veggies: This is a great recipe to add extra produce from your fridge that needs to be used up. While sautéing the onion you could also add celery, shredded carrot, baby broccoli, chopped kale, chopped zucchini.
- Crockpot Tortellini Soup: Sauté onion then add to crockpot. Add remaining ingredients except for tortellini, spinach, parmesan cheese, and cream. Cook for 4-5 hours, then add the tortellini the last 30 minutes. Add spinach, parmesan cheese, and cream a few minutes before serving.
More Tortellini Recipes:
- One Pan Creamy Lemon Chicken Tortellini
- Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Pasta
- Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Southwest Tortellini Pasta Salad
Follow me for more great recipes
Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Dutch Oven , or large pot
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes , to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (the refrigerated kind)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves (packed)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves , chopped
- Add oil and butter to a large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and dried basil. Season with salt and pepper. Taste broth and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Bring mixture to a gentle boil and then add the tortellini. Cook for a few minutes, until tortellini are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach, parmesan cheese, and cream.
- Add chopped basil. Serve warm.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I first shared this recipe December 2014. Updated August 2019 and January 2023.
Made this exactly the way you outlined, except I added a French Baguette because I love a good crusty bread with good homemade soup. I’m in a good food coma. CK
Delicious! Changes I did was to add 1/2 lb of Italian sausage, used 4 cups of broth instead of 3, a 28 oz can chopped tomatoes, doubled the tortellini, and used Romano cheese instead of Parmesan. Was quick and easy.
Such delicious soup! Super simple, goes together quick. One of my favorite meals for sure!
This was fantastic! My husband is not a ‘soup person’ but he said this is one of his favorites! I used the 20 oz of tortellini (chicken and cheese) and left out the basil – still wonderfully rich and delicious. I’m making it for my in-laws this weekend and if that doesn’t speak to how good it is, nothing will!
See More Comments