Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup with fresh basil, diced tomatoes, and spinach. This is healthy comfort food in my book!
If you haven’t noticed from this and this soup post, I’ve been in a soup craze lately! It’s just one of those meals that’s always warm and comforting, but also allows me to add lots of hidden, fresh veggies for my little guy to eat.
Since my Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini recipe has been so popular, I wanted to try a tortellini soup inspired version of it! Boy am I glad I did–this is seriously a new favorite!
Consider trying these tortellini recipes:
- One Pan Creamy Lemon Chicken Tortellini
- Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Pasta
- Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Southwest Tortellini Pasta Salad
Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes , to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces cheese tortellinis (the refrigerated kind)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves (packed)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or Greek yogurt)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves , chopped
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tortellini and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the parmesan cheese, stirring gently until it melts. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts.
- Remove from heat and stir in the greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped basil. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.