This hugely popular and easy Zuppa Toscana soup recipe is made with sausage, potatoes, kale, bacon and cream. It’s always a crowd pleaser!
We can thank the American restaurant Olive Garden for the namesake of this Zuppa Toscana recipe, which translates to “Tuscan Soup”. As usual, the homemade version is fantastic, healthier than what you’d find at a restaurant, and seriously EASY to make!
How to Make Zuppa Toscana:
Brown Sausage: Cook and stir it until it’s nice and brown and crumbled into pieces.
Add Vegetables: Toss in chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped potato to the pot then add chicken broth and water. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
Finish It: Add some cream, cooked bacon, and chopped kale. Season it to your liking with some salt and pepper, then crushed red pepper flakes (if you like a little bit of heat). Serve the Zuppa soup with homemade artisan bread.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Homemade Zuppa Toscana soup can be made 1-3 days ahead of time, stored in the fridge.
To Freeze: Make the soup according to instructions but don’t add the cream and don’t cook the potatoes until tender. Allow soup to cool, then store in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and rewarm on the stove, cooking potatoes until tender, and then stir in cream.
More Popular soup recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chile Verde Soup
Follow me for more great recipes
Creamy Zuppa Toscana
- 1 pound hot ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 large Russet potatoes , or gold potatoes, peeled, quartered, and then chopped in ¼ inch slices
- 5 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cups water
- 3 cups chopped kale (ribs/stems removed)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste, if desired
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, Add the ground sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks, until browned. Remove some of the grease and move sausage to one side of the pan.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, and potatoes and sauté for a few minutes. Pour in chicken broth and water and allow mixture to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon, chopped kale, and cream. Season with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 2-3 more minutes or until warmed through.
- Serve with homemade Olive Garden Breadsticks.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Recipe adapted from Food.com.
I originally shared this recipe October 2017. Updated September 2020 and September 2023.