Creamy Italian soup with sausage, potatoes, chopped kale and bacon. This easy, comforting Zuppa Toscana Soup is always a crowd favorite!
I’m such a soup person. It always sounds good, and I especially look forward to the cooler months of the year when I can add soup to our dinner rotation at least once a week! Some of my favorite soup recipes include this Creamy Tomato, Basil Parmesan Soup, Corn Chowder with Chiles , Spicy Chicken Soup and this zuppa toscana soup.
This soup was originally made popular by the Olive Garden restaurant, but this homemade version is equally as amazing! Creamy broth with tender bites of potatoes, kale, sausage and bacon. It’s completely delicious.
The first time I ever made this I can still remember how cute my husband’s reaction was. He took a few bites and said, ” yummm, Laur this is good.” Silence. A few more bites. “Seriously! this is REALLY, really good!” 🙂
To make this soup, start by browning the Italian sausage in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir it until it’s nice and brown and crumbled into pieces. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped potato to the pot.
Add chicken broth and water and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
Then add some cream, cooked bacon, and chopped kale.
Season it to your liking with some salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (if you like a little bit of heat). That’s it!
What’s not to love about a soup that takes 30 minutes to make (my goal, always), and always gets rave reviews? It’s filling, comforting and just plain tasty!
Consider trying one of these classic soup recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chile Verde Soup
Creamy Italian soup with sausage, potatoes, chopped kale and bacon. This easy, comforting soup is always a crowd favorite!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large russet baking potatoes peeled, quartered, and then chopped in 1/4 inch slices
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chopped kale (ribs/stems removed)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste, if desired
- Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces and brown in a large soup pot of medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, and potatoes and toss to combine. Pour in chicken broth and water and allow mixture to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon, chopped kale, and cream. Season with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Serve warm.
*If you don't like Kale, you can substitute spinach.
Serve with Homemade Olive Garden Breadsticks
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Recipe adapted from Food.com