Lasagna just got so much easier with this Slow Cooker Lasagna! Layer everything in the crockpot–even UN-COOKED noodles!
Want to hear something sad? My Dad and oldest brother don’t eat cheese! They wont touch it. No cheddar, no mozzarella, no parmesan…nothing! How can you live a life without cheese??!
That means that Lasagna, one of the most delicious meals of all time, was a rare specialty at our house. Whenever my mom would make it, (usually when Dad was out of town) the rest of us would be SO excited! It was gobbled up in minutes!
She’d typically make this Classic Italian Lasagna recipe. It’s a totally authentic lasagna that uses a simple béchamel white sauce instead of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese. It’s amazing, but takes a little bit of prep and work.
Now that I have a family of my own I’m always looking for ways easy meals or meals I can prep in advance or throw in my crock pot.
This slow cooker lasagna is a WINNER! All of the time consuming parts of lasagna–the many dishes and all the prep, are taken away.
I love that this recipe doesn’t even require you to cook the lasagna noodles before hand. You can use regular lasagna noodles, and then just layer the sauce, noodles and cheese. Lasagna takes about about 4-5 hours to cook on low. If you are really in a rush, you could could slow cooker lasagna on high and it would be done in about half the time!
Who knew you could make delicious homemade lasagna in the crock pot.
How to make Slow Cooker Lasagna:
Prepare the red sauce, first. I make my mom’s awesome homemade spaghetti sauce for the sauce, but you could use any bottled marinara sauce you like.
Add a little sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Top with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. Break them if necessary, to make a single layer.
Spread some of the white cheese sauce mixture over the top.
Repeat for two more layers, ending with red sauce. Sprinkle more cheese all over the top.
Cover and cook on LOW in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours or until the noodles are tender.
TIP: Use slow cooker liners to make clean-up a breeze!
Consider serving this with:
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage (I use hot)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion , chopped*
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauces
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles , uncooked
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef, Italian sausage and onion.
- Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and water. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes. (You could make the sauce in advance!)
- Spread a fourth of the meat sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker. Arrange a third of the noodles over the sauce (break the noodles to fit, if necessary).
- Combine the mozzarella, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese; spoon a third of the mixture over noodles. Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with extra mozzarella cheese, if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until noodles are tender.
- Serve with Homemade Olive Garden Breadsticks or a salad.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I first shared this recipe February 2015. Updated March 2018.
*This post contains affiliate links
I have made this man times. I put it together in the morning and cook it for 4 hours. I use the crockpot liners. Then we pack it up and take it camping with us. I plug it back in on warm once we get to the campgrounds. It is delicious. I add a salad and butter bread.
I make my own sauce and homemade lasagna noodles from scratch. I came across your recipe while looking for a slow cooker lasagna. I was wondering if it would work with homemade pasta, (it has to be blanched in boiling water first,) instead of the dry? If so, would there be any changes, like less water or less time to cook? Thank you for this recipe.
Made this for dinner twice this week it’s so delicious, worked out perfect, the whole family loved it, will definitely be making it again, thanks for the recipe
Was very hopeful about this recipe, but after 4 hours it was burnt on the bottom ( yes I did layer the sauce well) noodles were way overcooked. It did taste pretty good however. I’m glad I didn’t cook it 5 hours..
I have always lined my crockpot with foil and have never had a burning problem. My crockpot is also wwaaayyyy easier to clean after the fact.
See More Comments