This Three Bean Salad recipe is classic, fresh, and a delicious side dish to any meal! Best part, it only takes 10 minutes to make!
What I love about this salad:
- Quick – Only 10 minutes to make!
- Adaptable – Use your favorite type of beans (fresh or canned) and add protein or vegetables based on your preferences.
- Homemade dressing makes this salad better than anything from the store!
Ingredients and Adaptions:
- Green Beans: I prefer fresh green beans, but you could use canned.
- Kidney Beans and Garbanzo Beans: Cannellini and pinto beans would also work.
- Onion and Cucumber: I like the fresh crunch they add. You could also throw in extra veggies, like diced bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chopped mushrooms, or sautéed zucchini.
- Fresh Parsley: takes this dish from old-fashioned to extra-YUM!
- Dressing: Olive oil, vinegar, sugar, dijon, salt.
- Optional: Add Protein: Feel free to throw in chopped pieces of cheese, cooked chicken, or ham.
How to make Three Bean Salad:
- Mix dressing ingredients together, set aside.
- Steam green beans, drain, and transfer to a bowl of ice water (This helps stop them from cooking and retains their bright green color). Cut beans into 1 inch pieces and add to bowl.
- Combine remaining salad ingredients and pour dressing on top. Toss and Serve!
Make Ahead Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This three bean salad is an excellent salad to make ahead. Assemble whenever you have time and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve, or up to 3-5 days.
Three Bean Salad
- 12 ounces Fresh green beans , ends trimmed if needed
- 1 can Kidney or black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 can Garbanzo beans , rinsed and rained
- ½ of a small red onion , thinly sliced
- ½ of an English cucumber , chopped
- 1/3 cup Fresh parsley , chopped
- Light Italian dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or champagne vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar or honey , agave
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- Mix dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Steam green beans for 3 – 4 minutes, just until tender, then drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water. (This helps stop them from cooking and helps them retain their bright green color). Cut beans into 1 inch pieces and add to a bowl.
- Add remaining salad ingredients and pour dressing on top. Toss to coat.
- Additional Beans: Feel free to throw in cannellini and pinto beans.
- Additional Veggies: Throw in diced bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, chopped mushrooms, and sautéed zucchini for extra vegetables.
- Protein: Add cheese, cooked chicken, or ham.
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Make ahead of time.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.