My favorite EASY lemon bars recipe with just the right ratio of buttery shortbread crust and creamy lemon filling. They are always a crowd favorite
What I LOVE about these Lemon Bars:
- Basic pantry ingredients. There are only a few ingredients needed to make these lemon bars including flour, sugar, butter, lemon juice, salt, baking powder and eggs.
- Chewy shortbread crust: These lemon bars are extra thick, soft and chewy, all made possible by the texture of the shortbread crust.
- Creamy lemon filling. The filling is perfectly sweet and creamy, without being overly “tangy”.
How to make easy lemon bars:
1. Make crust.
- Mix the butter and powdered sugar together until well combined.
- Add the flour and salt and mix just until combined.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
2. Make the filling. Combine the lemon zest and sugar in a bowl. Add lemon juice, flour, baking powder, and eggs and mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Bake. Pour the lemon filling into the baked crust and bake again for 20 more minutes or until the lemon filling is set.
4. Cool. Remove the lemon bars from the oven and allow them to cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Make lemon bars up to 2 days in advance. Allow to cool completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator.
To freeze: Allow lemon bars to cool completely and cut into squares. Store in an even layer in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 2 months.
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Apple Crisp
Perfect Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup butter , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- dash of salt
- Zest of one large lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8” pan with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray and set aside
- For the crust: In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed, just until combined.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the crust cools, make the lemon filling. Mix the lemon zest and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, flour, baking powder, and eggs. Mix until well combined and the sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture over crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 more minutes, or until the filling has set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before cutting and serving. Store lemon bars in the refrigerator.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.