This easy homemade Lemon Cream Mousse is delicious as a stand alone dessert or can be served with my homemade berry cake!
I’m a lover of puddings and mousses, but they MUST be homemade. There is no comparison in the taste of a box pudding mix, versus the real deal. I feel like they’re sometimes a forgotten dessert, because a box mix has taken the novelty (and flavor) away.
After a nice dinner, especially if you have guests over, I love the simplicity of a homemade pudding or mousse, served with some berries on top. Homemade Tapioca Pudding is probably my favorite, followed by this Baked Custard Style Rice Pudding and Vanilla Pudding. But a good chocolate mousse or lemon mousse is always a winner too.
I love that you can make them a day or more in advance, saving on prep time. Sometimes that best desserts are the simplest. If you really want to take this Lemon Cream Mousse to a whole new level of easy and impressive, serve it with this berry cake.
Consider trying these popular dessert recipes:
- 3 large eggs , whole
- 3 large eggs , whole
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoon granulated sugar , separated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fill a large saucepan with a few inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 10-15 minutes. (Once the mixture starts to thicken a tiny bit you may want to switch to a whisk to stir it).
- Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until completely chilled.
- Place the 3 remaining egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat on high speed for 1 minute.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue to beat until the whites are stiff. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the cold lemon mixture.
- Place the cream in the same bowl the whites were in and beat on high speed until stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture. Chill and serve cold with sweetened whipped cream.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.