This Easy Homemade Lemonade recipe makes the BEST fresh squeezed lemonade, with just 3 ingredients! It’s perfectly sweet (not too sweet!) and makes the perfect refreshing summer drink for potlucks, BBQ’s.
Lemonade is one of those homemade drinks my family enjoys all year round, but especially during the warm summer months. Other easy homemade drink recipes we make regularly include Sparkling Mint Limeade and Easy Orange Julius.
Easy Homemade Lemonade
If I had to issue one warning about this recipe it would be that it will ruin your tastes buds for any type of store-bought lemonade. No other lemonade recipe will ever measure up! There’s seriously nothing more refreshing than a big glass of cold, fresh squeezed lemonade.
My favorite thing about this recipe is how easy it is to make, with just 3 ingredients that I usually always have. I also love how you can adjust the sweetness to your liking. I always make my lemonade on the sweeter side, and then I add a ton of ice to the pitcher. By the time the ice begins to melt I’m left with the perfect lemonade–it’s absolutely delicious! I also usually double the recipe, because we drink it so quickly.
The ingredients for homemade lemonade couldn’t be simpler! You can make lemonade with the following 3 ingredients:
- Lemons: Fresh lemons are essential for this recipe to get that great fresh-squeezed lemonade taste. Depending on the size of your lemons, you will need between 6-8 medium size lemons to get 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice for this recipe.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar gets dissolved in water to create a simple syrup.
- Water: How much water you add really depends on how sweet you like your lemonade.
How to make lemonade:
- Make a simple syrup. Add sugar and 2 cups of water to a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Juice your lemons. Strain the lemon juice through a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher.
- Combine syrup and lemon juice. Add more water, to taste, until you reach your desired lemonade sweetness.
How to juice your lemons, (and how to pick good lemons for making lemonade):
When choosing lemons from the grocery store, look for lemons that are tender to the touch, indicating they are juicy. If you pick up two lemons that are about the same size, the one that is heavier will be juicier.
Make sure the lemons are at room temperature before you try and squeeze the juice from them.
To juice the lemons, you have a few options:
- Use a handheld juicer, like this one, or this. Place the lemon inside with the cut-side facing down.
- Use a fork. The tines of the fork and the bent edge of the fork can be used to work your way around the inner flesh of the fruit to get all of the juice out.
How to freeze homemade lemonade:
You can freeze the lemon juice concentrate from this recipe and save it to make homemade lemonade, any time. Mix the cooled simple syrup and fresh squeezed lemon juice together. Pour into a freezer bag and freeze for up to 5 months.
When ready to use, allow the mixture to thaw and add it to a pitcher. Add water, to taste, until you reach your desired sweetness.
Interested in more homemade beverages? Some of my favorites are:
Easy Homemade Lemonade
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice , about 6-8 lemons
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups water , divided
- Combine sugar and 2 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Strain the lemon juice through a fine-mesh sieve into a 2-quart pitcher. Add simple syrup and stir to combine. Refrigerate until cold.
- When ready to serve, add 2 1/2 cups of cold water and stir. Taste, and add more water if it's too sweet.
- Serve with ice, thinly sliced lemons and fresh mint, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe May 2015. Updated April 2019.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you!