My mom always brewed a big pot of hot wassail for us on Christmas Eve and the wonderful smells of this holiday drink still take me right back to my childhood. This recipe has been passed down for several generations and is very special to our family!
I now love to make it for my family on Christmas morning, and we all agree that it’s the perfect warm, cozy drink to enjoy when it’s cold and snowy outside. This is a great wassail recipe that only takes a few minutes to stir together and then it simmers to allow all the flavors to blend. Your house will smell amazing!
What is wassail?
How to make wassail:
We enjoy wassail all throughout the fall and winter months! I’ve even served it on Halloween as I sit outside with friends and neighbors as trick-or-treater’s come by. I’m confidant your family will love this recipe!
Consider trying these holiday drinks:
- Homemade Eggnog
- Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider
- Homemade Sparkling Apple Cider
- Sparkling Cranberry Apple Punch
- 2 apples
- 8 cups apple cider
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 15 whole whole cloves ,or ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar , optional
- Poke the whole cloves into the apples on all sides.
- Add all of the ingredients, including the apples, to a large pot over medium low heat.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the apples and whole cloves. Ladle into mugs and enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe November 2013. I’ve updated it with new photos and clearer instructions.