The BEST big and fluffy cinnamon rolls that you can make the night before! These Overnight Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese frosting are every baker’s dream!
During the last few months of pregnancy all of my cravings revolved around sweet rolls! I would have given my left arm (okay…maybe that’s a little dramatic) for a homemade cinnamon roll or one of my mom’s orange rolls.
One week the cravings got so bad that I honestly made BOTH recipes in the same week. I figured it’s not very often that you’re 8 months pregnant and can completely milk that as an excuse to satisfy your sweet tooth!
I made these Overnight Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting because they are the most convenient sweet rolls to make, and when I’m pregnant and chasing two toddlers around, I need something easy! They are the BEST for special occasions like Christmas morning breakfast, when you don’t want to be cooking at all, but you’d love something special and delicious to eat.
With these overnight cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting, you pretty much make the entire recipe the night before and get to wake up and simply pop them in the oven.
There’s nothing like fresh baked cinnamon rolls, especially when they’re smothered in cream cheese frosting! I wont discriminate against traditional glaze for cinnamon rolls, but let’s just say if I have the choice between a cream cheese frosted cinnamon roll and a regular one, the cream cheese frosting wins HANDS DOWN every, single time.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE BREAKFAST FAVORITES:
- German Pancakes
- Easy Homemade Egg Benedict
- Overnight Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Quessadillas
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos
- Cheesy Egg, Avocado, and Ham Breakfast Sausages
Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast*
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups bread flour , or all-purpose
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese , 1/2 block softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixer add yeast, warm milk, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar and gently stir. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes for the yeast to “proof” and the mixture to get foamy on the top (if this does not happen, try again with fresh active yeast).
- Add salt, sugar, egg, butter, and 2 cups of flour. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Then add another 1 cup of flour and mix/knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed, until the dough pulls away from the bottom and sides of the bowl and should be smooth and elastic but may be slightly sticky when touched.
- Remove dough to a large greased bowl, cover, and allow it to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in volume.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured or greased work surface. Roll dough into a 20''x18'' rectangle.
- Smooth butter over the top of the dough, Mix cinnamon and brown sugar together and sprinkle evenly over the top, leaving about 1/2inch border.
- Roll the dough into a tight “log” and use a sharp serrated knife or some tooth floss to cut the dough into slices about 1.5 inches thick. Place rolls onto a buttered 9x13'' or rimmed bakers half sheet (18x13'').
- Cover pan with a lid or tightly with plastic wrap and tinfoil and refrigerate overnight, 8-12 hours.
- Remove rolls from the refrigerator and allow to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.*
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through in the center. Spread frosting over warm from the oven rolls.
- For the frosting:
- Add cream cheese to a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixers until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat well until smooth.
- Add additional milk or powdered sugar to make the frosting thicker, or thinner, as desired. Smooth frosting over cinnamon rolls.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.