We’ve all gone a little crazy for these chewy Red Velvet Cookies with cream cheese filling. There’s something about that delicious red velvet flavor, with hints of vanilla and undertones of chocolate, mixed with the flavors from the filling that have me falling hard for these cookies!
They remind me a lot of my favorite Homemade Oreo Cookies. They’re chewy, but pretty thin, so that you’re not overwhelmed when you sandwich two cookies together.
How to make red velvet cookies:
Start with making the cookie dough. I use liquid red food coloring to get that great red color.
The dough has two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder in it, so that you get the undertones of chocolate that everyone loves in red velvet cookies, but it’s not overwhelming.
Once the dough is made, use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop the dough into balls. You should be able to get 24 dough balls (for a total of 12 sandwich cookies.)
Use the palm of your hand or the back of a measuring spoon to gently press down on the tops of the cookies to flatten them slightly.
Now they’re ready to bake!
Be careful not to over-bake them, or you’ll end up with crunchy cookies. You just want the edges to be just set when you take the cookies out of the oven. They will continue to cook on the hot cookie sheet, out of the oven.
Spoon some cream cheese frosting onto the bottom of one of the cookies. I do a pretty small scoop of frosting so the cookies aren’t too rich.
Add another cookie on top to make a cookie sandwich.
Cover and refrigerate the cookies until ready to eat.
These cookies also freeze really well! Place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you love red velvet, don’t miss these favorites:
Red Velvet Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon liquid red food coloring
Cream Cheese filling
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and red food coloring and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed, just until combined.
- Use a tablespoon measurer to scoop the dough and then roll into balls (should make 24 cookies).
- Line the dough balls on the prepared baking sheets. Use a measuring cup or the palm of your hand to gently flatten the balls just slightly.
- Bake until edges start setting, about 8-9 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the cream cheese filling:
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or a splash of milk, if needed, until desired consistency is reached.
- Once the cookies have cooled, add a small spoonful of cream cheese filling onto one cookie. Place another cookie on top and press them together to make a cookie sandwich.
Cookie recipe adapted fromRed Velvet Lover’s Cookbook by Deborah Harroun
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.