Huevos Rancheros are Mexican style eggs with corn tortillas, refried beans and salsa. A delicious healthy breakfast that the whole family loves!
I fell in love with Huevos Rancheros when my husband and I lived in Mexico. (You can find all my favorite mexican recipes here).
There was an awesome little inexpensive restaurant near our house that we loved to eat breakfast at. He’d get the enchiladas (yep, regular enchiladas for breakfast is totally normal there).
I’d get huevos rancheros because, seriously, they’re the BEST. Plus, they’re on the lighter side, so I’d feel full and happy. A white corn tortilla topped with a thin layer of refried beans, salsa, and egg. Some people add cheese on top, but I like to add some fresh avocado and cilantro.
Consider trying these popular Mexican recipes:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , pressed or finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 6 small white corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans heated
- 6 large eggs over easy or fried
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1 avocado , chopped
- Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for a few minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in cumin, salt and pepper. Add the entire can of fire-roasted tomatoes (including juices) and diced green chiles and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Taste and add more seasonings, to taste.
- Heat a clean non-stick skillet. Spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Heat tortillas, one at a time, for about 1 minute on each side.
- Spread a spoonful of warm refried beans on each tortilla.
- Spoon salsa over the beans and top with a fried egg.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and avocados.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.